Headlite Recommendation Wanted

I'm thinking about installing an H4 Headlight Conversion kit to replace the stock H6054 Sylvania Halogens on my '85 Xtra Cab SR5 Pickup. I've seen them advertised from about $35 a pair for the Chinese imports up to about $100 for the German Hellas. Anybody got any experience with any of the available conversion kits? Know anything about how the cheaper lights focus? Are they able to withstand the heat from 100w/55w bulbs? Any info and/or recommendation will be appreciated. Thanks. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Man, if yer gonna do it, do it right...HIDs. I have an 85 Corolla GTS I am in the process of redoing, and it's getting 'em! (About $450, but I do d

*LOT* of night driving!)
Reply to
HachiRoku

I have used the Hella H4 large rectangular 2-lamp conversions, and they work beautifully - and they'll run you a whole lot less dough than a HID system, they drop right in and plug right in. They're good for 65 MPH Plus safely in pitch-black open-country driving where you'd be overdriving stock headlights above 45 MPH. (Watch for deer!)

If your wiring can handle it (or you can do some Custom Wiring to feed them) using the 55W/100W lamps (stock low-beams, double high beams - stock is 55W/60W for 2-lamp systems) makes them Beautiful Squared ;-) - just make sure they're adjusted properly and /never/ bright a cop.

There are also motorcycle H4 lamp capsules made for a single headlamp that are (IIRC) 90W/100W, but they are noticeably too bright with two, even on low beams you will get pulled over and cited. Don't even try using them on a street vehicle, they are (say it with me, kiddies) "For Off-Road Use Only".

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
Kevin

Here in Japan we can buy H4 bulb in all wattages up to 100/130. Even better is the fact they only cost about $30 for a set of two.

Reply to
Bubba