Beetle Tire Recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation on the width, aspect ratio and diameter, as well as the best brand for a 1970 standard Beetle?

Reply to
Randall Brink

15" tall, 5.5" wide wheel, 185/65 tire. Just perfect for all-around driving, and fairly cheap size, easy to find. A world of difference compared to stock.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

So--185 instead of 165. That would be a 185 65 15?

Randall

Reply to
Randall Brink
195/60R15 Pirelli's P6000 on 15 x 6 wheel
Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Yes. Fits under the fender too. Might rub on the elbow of the torsion arm, when you turn the wheel all the way to either side but you can adjust the steering travel stop bolts to prevent this. It's not dangerous, the spot it rubs on is round. Just be aware and don't force the wheel.

175 is the max for 4.4" wheel (stock) and I'd put 185 on a 5.5" wheel. (Factory wheel for convertibles and whatnot, I forgot what cars got them)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson
165-15 is about the easiest to find that will snugly fit into the spare tire well of my 1970 Beetle. 155 -15 fits into the spare tire well perfectly. - Bob
Reply to
Robert

The stock rims on that car are 4.5x15" - so 155 or165x75/15 is the proper tire. A 165 will just fit in the front trunk as a spare.

Reply to
Wolfgang

The modern equivalent to the original 5.60x15 crossply is a 155x15. However, most places will fit the easier to find 165x15.

I fitted 165x15 to my '66, and I think it makes the tyres look too fat. Next time, I'll go with 5.60x15 ;-)

Reply to
Howard Rose

The 5.60x15 is a bias ply tire - great for show but not great on the road. Suspect by 70 they were stock with radials (the metric measurement).

Reply to
Wolfgang