How do I find out what transmission I have?

I have a 1985 Toyot 1-ton truck. It is a 5-speed manual. I know it uses a standard 22REC EFI engine, but the Rear differential is different than most Toyota trucks. I had to search quite a ways to find a replacement last year. I was told that since the rear differential uses a different ratio, the transmission should also be different.

I can't find any site on the web that lists the Toyota 1-ton trucks from the 80's or 90's.

Does it use the same transmission as the 1/2 ton trucks?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

See:

Roger Brown

That really doesn't answer the question because my VIN plate doesn't have the transmission printed on it, and my VIN number has no relationship to that pages decoder.

The link to the VINChecker was interesting since it correctly identified my truck as a 1-ton, but still no answer to the transmission question. Screw it, I will just harass the guys at Toyota.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Its not the VIN you want to look up that info on, look at the Model Information codes that are often on the same plate as the VIN. My '85 tag shows the VIN, engine and model info with the paint and tranny codes.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Ernie, it sure does, are you looking at the 88 and older tag? Its located under the hood on the firewall.

Well Ernie, sometimes you have to fend for yourself. You were given the exact info you needed to find out what tranny you had and you said it wasnt any good, screw it, I'll just hassle the guys at Toyota. Well, if you cant figure out what tranny you have with the perfect info on hand, then I wonder what you plan on doing with the tranny code? Do you own tools?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Roger, the info you gave him was perfect, he is just a lazy idiot!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Gosh, is anyone else feeling the love here?

Reply to
saeros
.

How do I find out what transmission I have? Group: alt.autos.toyota.trucks Date: Mon, Sep 29, 2003, 8:47am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com (Ernie=A0Leimkuhler) I have a 1985 Toyot 1-ton truck. It is a 5-speed manual. I know it uses a standard 22REC EFI engine, but the Rear differential is different than most Toyota trucks. I had to search quite a ways to find a replacement last year. I was told that since the rear differential uses a different ratio, the transmission should also be different. I can't find any site on the web that lists the Toyota 1-ton trucks from the 80's or 90's. Does it use the same transmission as the 1/2 ton trucks? .

Try the ID tag thats on the tranny.

Scrib Abell

Reply to
Scribb Abell