1982 toyota custom cab

I'm looking at buying an 82 toyota custom cab 4x4. Pretty unusual... and it doesn't have the camper shell. Anyone know where I might get one... or anything else that would work? Or any info on this sort of truck at all? Thanks

Reply to
zdgraff

I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S., and IIRC, the Xtracab was introduced later than 1982. There were several aftermarket conversions on the market at the time, was the "Custom Cab" one of them?

As far as a shell for the bed, measure the bed length and look for a long bed or short bed shell, depending on your bed length.

Reply to
Ray O

yes a custom cab was an option from toyota. i collect custom cabs ( i have 3 of them). They were sent to two different companies to have the conversion done. One was called custom fabrication manufacturing in san diego ca, and also in oregon, and another company called speciality vehicles corporation. it was a 3000 dollar option from toyota. they took a standard cab pickup and cut and stretched the frame 3 feet and put on the fiberglass section.

Reply to
ripoffsucks

The custom cab was not a Toyota option, and there was no Toyota model number for a custom cab. It was an aftermarket conversion that some Toyota dealers sold.

Reply to
Ray O

So if some toyota dealers sold it, wouldnt that make it an option. Two of my three custom cabs I purchased from the original owners. Each one provided paperwork and recipts of the conversion and the price from toyota. how would that not be an option??? how are you basing your information?

Reply to
ripoffsucks

Toyota dealers can sell products and options that are not factory options or accessories. For example, dealers sell rust proofing, paint protectant, fabric protectant, theft deterrent systems, glass etching, wheels, and extended service contracts that are not supplied by Toyota. Toyota used to sell cab/chassis that were converted to campers, flat bets, utility beds, cube trucks, etc. The cab and chassis are made by and warranted by Toyota, but the conversion is warranted by the converter. The quality of those conversions varied widely - some were pretty good, many were pretty poor quality with leaks, poor upholstery durability, and electrical problems.

Back in 1982, demand for 4Runners was much greater than Toyota's production capacity, so there were several aftermarket pickup-to-SUV conversions (Winnebago was one) that were sold by Toyota dealers. The custom cab was another aftermarket conversion.

My information comes from working for Toyota Motor Distributors, a division of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

Reply to
Ray O

I understand that toyota didnt warranty the custom cab, but if they sell the conversion option how is that not an option from toyota. It doesnt matter if there is no number for the conversion, but toyota did offer the conversion for 3000 dollars like i originaly said. You first stated that "toyota didnt sell the "Custom Cab" in the united states". Well I have proff that they did. I have two original recipts from toyota delearships that shows a 3000 dollar option for a custom cab conversion.

Reply to
ripoffsucks

In other words than how Ray has said this: If a Toyota dealer sells you a cap to put on your truck bed it is not a Toyota option, but instead it is an aftermarket item that just happens to be also sold by that Toyota dealer. It did not come from Toyota and Toyota has nothing to do with it. The custom cab is similar to this. The dealer just farmed out the work to someone else and sold it as an aftermarket item. The Toyota individual dealer made the final sale to the end user (much like a cap), but Toyota itself had nothing to do with it. Hope this helps, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I think you are confusing "Toyota" with Toyota dealers. Toyota Motor Corp., Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., and Toyota Motor Distributors are all "Toyota." The dealer is an independent business with a franchise agreement with Toyota that gives the dealer the right to sell new Toyota products, use the Toyota name and logo in the dealer's name, sell genuine Toyota parts (along with aftermarket parts if they wish), and offer warranty service on Toyota vehicles. The receipts you have are from Toyota dealers, not Toyota. Toyota sold the truck to one of their dealers, the dealer sent the truck to a converter, the converter added the custom cab and sold the conversion to the dealer, and the dealer sold the truck and conversion. Although there is a franchise agreement between Toyota and the dealer, they are not one and the same.

Another analogy would be a digital camera made by Nikon and sold to a store like Best Buy. Best Buy puts a package together that includes the Nikon camera and a SanDisk memory card and sells the package. Nikon did not sell the memory card, Best Buy did.

Reply to
Ray O

Good explanation. I did not use the cap analogy because Toyota now offers caps as a port installed option that Toyota warrants and which appears on the manufacturer's Monroney label, although that was not the case in 1982.

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry im off topic.

"I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S.," I thought the truck's are called "Cab & Chassis". Am I wrong?

My California registration also cost more money than a normal "pick up" and it's called a "truck" on the paper work. I know when I buy parts at the dealer I have to say it's a C&C to get the right parts for things like the brakes and clutch.

Thanks Dan

oh BTW: Those C&C trucks should have a second manafacture's label. One from Toyota and one from the manafacture of the bed or whatever. (mine has one from Toyota and one from Texas auto body)

Reply to
Danny G.

Back in 1982, Toyota imported trucks 3 ways:

1) CBU's, or completely built units. Some base short bed pickups came from Japan with the bed installed. 2) Incomplete trucks, where the beds were installed at the port of entry. If you look at the LF corner of the bed, there will be a sticker with an "S" or "L" for short and long bed, along with the bed's serial number. 3) CC's, or cab and chassis. These were sold to dealers, who sent them to 3rd parties who installed beds, boxes, campers, sweepers, etc. They should indeed have a second manufacturer's label.

The first CC's were half-ton but were later upgraded to 3/4 and 1 ton, some with dual rear wheels.

Reply to
Ray O

Every manufactures warranty has an exclusion for damage cause by neglect and after market products. Do a search and you will discover those small Toyota trucks, that had built in campers installed, were all recalled by the conversion company by order of the NHTSA. Rear axles failures were causing fires in the rear wheels that resulted in accidents as well as several deaths. Toyota was not involved because the camper exceeded the GVWR

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The later ones that were upgraded by Toyota were fine - it's the early ones manufactured as 1/2-ton or 3/4-ton 'incomplete vehicles' and the GVWR upgraded by the final manufacturer that were trouble, and you have to watch out for them. And it got worse when the Motorhome makers added tag-axles to carry even more weight - tag axles mounted on air springs that only carried their share of the vehicle weight when they were properly inflated...

If your "dual rear wheels" are 'siamese' rims on a common six lug wheel-face (and not the usual 8-lug deep-dish wheels that mount separately), you have a conversion on a conventional (not a full-floating) axle and WILL have problems. There is way too much overhung load on the axle flange from those funky wheels...

Been there, saw what happened when the axle flange snapped and the left rear wheelset went through the shower pan and the bathroom floor on the way out the back...

The final manufacturers tried to point the finger of blame back at Toyota for axle failures, but they aren't the ones that re-rated the chassis. After the problem was identified, When (not if) the axle shaft broke, Toyota ate the costs and did a recall where they shipped you a crate with a complete full-floater rear axle and a set of rims, installation costs not included.

Oh, and you have to watch where the Toyota frame rails were extended by the final manufacturer, they love to crack at the welds. Even after they've been repaired and properly reinforced with fishplates and box members, they tend to crack /again/ at the welds.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thank's for the information.

For what its worth every place I have worked for the last 20 years or so uses the truck's with the stake bed's (usually 6' x 10') and dual rear wheels. The Toyota trucks are the only ones that seem to be able to take the abuse.

I bought on of the older ones. It's a 1986 C&C (22re with 1/2 ton front end)

6'x10' flatbed with 24' of boxes, racks setup for HVAC construction.

That thing has been one tuff truck. It's has to work so hard i'm lucky to get

12mpg. My normally weight is already at 4,900 pounds and tossing a couple thousand pounds in the bed is no big deal.

The weak spots for us is the clutch and front brakes. They all eat both. Stomp the brakes at 60 mph and by the time your stopped clouds of smoke are comming from the front brakes. Mine will not skid at highway speeds. (newer ones stop better) Well it did one time. But it was from a 100' roll sheet metal strap that fell between the cab and bed hit the road and wound itself around the frame and driveshaft at 70 mph. LOL woops.

Dan

That sucker must be related to the Everyready bunny because it just keep's going and going. LOL

Reply to
Danny G.

Ray O I happen to have an 82 Toyota Custom Cab 2 wheel drive and the fiberglass cab still has a decal on it reading CUSTOM COMPONENTS CORPORATION. Do you have any information about this or an idea of how many were made? Thanks Retro

Reply to
raysadowski

Sorry, I am not familiar with Custom Components Corp. Is there a city of phone number on the sticker?

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray O No city or # So if anyone has some info Bring It On Thanks Retro

Reply to
raysadowski

I have a 1985 Toyota 4x4 with the custom cab made by winnebago. How rare are these? Does amyone know how many were ordered? The last time I saw one on the road was back in '92 & it was two wheel drive.

Reply to
nini626626

I highly doubt I will ever get a response here but I will try anyways. I'm looking for a camper shell for a 1982 custom cab. Does anyone know how to find one. Maybe a company brand that made them back in the day?

Reply to
bradrh22