I'm going to buy a new Tacoma!!!

Hi There!

I'm going to buy my first new vehicle, and I've selected the base model Tacoma 4x2. I've drove a Subaru Brat in the early nintees and have been driving a '93 Ford Exploder since '98. Since the 'sploder turned over 100k I've put in a tranny, and bunches of other things. I never had a problem with the Brat. So I figured that I would go with Toyota because of the reliability.

I'm going to get the 4x2 2.4L regular cab. It seems to be just the right size and will give better gas mileage and reliability over the 'sploder. I can get it from the dealer wants $14,100 for it and has $500 rebate if I pay cash. How low will a dealer go on it? Am I making the right choice?

- TS

Reply to
Trailswipe

Shop around. They are going pretty close to invoice now.

Reply to
Mike R

Reply to
TacomaDude

In my experience there is no advantage to paying cash these days. Back in the days when it took two or three days to a week to get a car loan, it was worth it to the dealers to offer a discount for cash because they would quickly get a closed deal. But in these days of online instant financing and generous credit, it is no longer to the dealer's advantage to offer discounts for cash. And, they get a kickback from the lenders when a car is financed which adds to their profit, so they'd rather finance a car then take cash for it. Besides, with interest rates so low, you'd be better off putting your money in the bank anyway.

Do this: Go to

and determine the invoice price. Then go in on the last day of the month when they are trying to get in their last-minute quotas. Offer them $100 over invoice and they'll probably take it. If they don't, start to walk. I guarantee they'll change their minds fairly quickly.

Or, tell them you want to finance it through Toyota Motor Credit (sometimes they will lower the price because they can offset the discount with the kickback they get from TMC.) Then, once you've agreed on a price, "change your mind" and decide to pay cash at the agreed-on price. They'll bitch and complain, but again, don't be afraid to walk. They'd rather lose money than lose a customer.

-CB (a former Toyota salesperson)

Reply to
Cyberbilly

cash or loan i have to laugh. i was hence the word WAS going to pay cash for a trk, well trade in and cash for the difference, and yes my trade in was paid for, then they said we have to run a credit report, i laughed, said i am paying cash, they said it was toyotas policy, i said BULL CHIT and walked out, that dealer lost a sale. well as i was leaving they came runnin out and said tell ya what we are not suppose to do it, but we will over look the credit report for ya, i said good i still aint buying from you. so needless to say i am going to another dealer maybe this weekend

Reply to
Charles H.

How do you find the invoice price at edmonds.com?

Reply to
H Hornblower

You did right. They still want to sell you a loan because it means more money for them.

Good luck, but I hope you don't run into the same problem.

-Cyberbilly

Reply to
Cyberbilly

My bad. I spelled it wrong. It's

(U instead of O)

-CB

Reply to
Cyberbilly

.Thanks, that's a nice tool.

Reply to
H Hornblower

Why not pay cash..............figure what your monthly payment would of been pay your self back with intrest.

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

thats why i am gonna pay cash. i thought it was odd tho for them to want to run a check on me. the guy 2 doors from me use to sell cars at carmax, i was telling him about it, he said thats all part of selling cars. i am sure i will find a dealer that will take my cash, if not i will just keep driving my 2000 chevy z71, its not like its going to break down or fall apart, it only has 49,000 miles on it. i just wanted something new, so i have the ball in court here. thanks tho everyone that has put in there input and the advice when i asked bout the 04 tacoma's it helped alot in making my mind up. NOW can anyone tell me a good dealer to work with in the raleigh north carolina area?

Reply to
Charles H.

I've had bad luck w/the service depts at Leith & Fred Anderson, but I don't know about their sales depts. Good luck. Slik

Reply to
slikrikd

Wow, that sounds like BS. The Toyota dealership I visited was very relaxed and kind. They had no objections to taking cash for the vehicle, and didn't even mention financing. The only problem is that they are so nice that I feel bad asking for a "deal."

- TS

Reply to
Trailswipe

Diff'rent Strokes, I guess. The dealership I worked for wasn't like that.

-CB

Reply to
Cyberbilly

please tell me what kind of problems you had with the service dept. i know some here may think of it as slamming a dealership, so feel free to mail me direct if you like. the service dept. of a dealership is a big thing as well on where i buy at. i have heard 1 bad thing about fred anderson, and i try to stay away from leith lots all together, if i can help it. if you bought your toyota in n.c what lot did you use. thanks

Reply to
Charles H.