idling problems with my 82 yota

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out whats going on with my yota. I bought this truck a few weeks ago with a really rought idle, i took it in and the mech said that my intake manifold gasket was leaking and the manifold itself was warped. so 400 bucks, a resurfaced manifold, new air intake manifold gasket, and adjusted valves later ive got black smoke in my exhaust, fuel odor, and really bad fuel milage. But heres the odd part, it will run really rough for about 20-30 minutes after warm up then the problem will just go away and everythings back to normal. Ive checked the compression (fine), mech said the carb was working fine. i looked in the sight glass and the fuel level was really low when the engine was cool. i havent checked the fuel level at operating temp ( and honestly i dont know if the fuel level should differ). Also i havent taken a look at the spark plugs to see what they look like (when i do, what should i look for on the plugs?) anything will help thanks,

-manuk

Reply to
agazaryanm

agazary, when you pull the plugs, if they are firing correctly they should show a light grey color. if they look black and coated your burning to rich. and your other best bet is to go to a different mechanic and get a second opinion as a good mech should be able to figure this out.

Reply to
pacaguy

Tell your mech to check the AAP diaphragm on the carb (auxillary accel pump) my 80 would flood cyld 1 until the engine warmed up, bad diaphragm was letting gas flow from carb to intake thru vac hose. Mike K

Reply to
Mike K