Is This a Bad Deal on a Tacoma?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a used Toyota Tacoma, and I found the perfect one for me last weekend online. The exact color and body style that I want. Unfortunatley, the price makes me cringe. 14K for a 2002 with

90,000 miles on it. Here is a look at the truck:

I check Kelly blue book, and it says the truck should retail for like

11K. Is this dealer just nuts, or is this about the average price I should expect to pay for this model? I checked on Ebay, and the prices are even higher! Ridiculous for a 5 year old vehicle.
Reply to
alvinstraight38

Ugh, not even 4x4.

Prices are way up, even at the auctions they go for more that retail.

I'd keep looking myself.

Reply to
HiThere

It's a dealer, so you know there's probably plenty of fat built into the price. You should be able to negotiate down another couple grand. You'll also want to know if major service procedures have been done, like timing belt. And, it would be a good idea to have it inspected by an independent mechanic of your choice. I have never met a dealer who would not agree to that for a used car.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The mileage is okay, 15k per year on average.

Look on autotrader.com to see what others are selling this truck for, and compare that with the price you get on kbb.com. Keep in mind that you are buying from a dealer that will offer more services and have higher overhead than a private party, and that the KBB Wholesale price in of no value to you -- this is an approximate trade in value, not a purchase value. The values on KBB that you want to look at are the Private Party Sale and the Retail.

After all of that, my instinct is that $14k is not out of line.

Jeff Strickland

I went on autotrader.com and searched a radius of 50 miles and got 58 hits. The average price is $13500.

Jeff Strickland

Trucks seem to hold their value. About a year ago I was priced a new 2006 Tacoma 4 cylinder automatic 2 wheel drive extended cab with the SR5 package for $ 19000. The 2007 modles had already arived.

The price anyone has to pay is way too much, but trucks seem to hold their value and the dealers are getting that for them.

I think if you factor in the trade in price if you plan trading in a few years, you are beter off with the new ones.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery