Loud Whining Noise during acceleration

I have 1990 Toyota 4 runner V6, about 249500 miles, and this morning, on a cold morning, I was driving to work and out of no where this loud whining noise started, and kept going until I came to a complete stop, afterwards, there was no more noise for the rest of my trip. This is the first time i've had this problem. I just recently bought the car from my father who got it used maybe about a year ago. The owner took real good car of the car, but i'm not sure when the last major fluid or filter changes, short of a couple of oil changes i have done.

Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Reply to
hhakeem

Slipping accessory belts. The cold weather made the compound firmer so they slipped until friction warmed them up. Inspect them for proper adjustment and condition (glazing, cracks) and replace as needed.

PS of course you know not to overtighten the belts. A slipping belt is noisy and embarrasing but relatively harmless. An overtightened one can damage the accessories it drives.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris