02 Corolla / Whining Noise

Hi, Lately I have been hearing a whining noise; the noise disappears after I have let it idle for 10 sec. I think the noise seems to be coming around the serpentine belt area. My car is 02 and has 57K miles; I checked the belt and it has no cracks. Somebody suggested that the belt needs to be replaced or tensioned? Any suggestions on this.

Thanks

Reply to
leolite1

When I had this issue on my 2002 Corolla, I needed the belt replaced and I think the pully itself was bad or had a bad bearing or something which caused a whine. I also think there was a TSB on this but RayO could tell you for sure.

So yes, replaced the belt and the pulley or the pulley arm or something. Haven't had a problem since.

Reply to
mrsteveo

Check the fluid level in your power steering reservoir. Also check to see if you can tell where the whining noise is coming from - the tension pulley, power steering pump, alternator, or AC compressor.

I tried to look for TSB's but couldn't find any older than Oct of 2002 so there may or may not be a TSB covering the issue. There were several TSB's on accessory drive belt noise on other models but I didn't see one for your vintage Corollas. The fix for vehicles with squeal or rattle was to replace the accessory drive belt, and in some cases, the tensioner.

Reply to
Ray O

Ah yes, that was it. I had to replace the belt and the tensioner.

Reply to
mrsteveo

I will replace the belt first and then see about the tensioner but I had a couple more . While looking for belt and tensioner some sites were calling it "timing" belt and tensioner. I thought timing belt was something else and that Corolla has a timing chain instead. But if it is the timing belt then I probably must be careful to not rotate any of the wheels while doing the replacement.

I also found belts with and without AC. I assume that's for case where there is no AC installed and not the case where there are 2 sets of belts.

Thanks

Reply to
leolite1

Your 2002 Corolla has a timing chain.

Reply to
mrsteveo

A timing belt and an accessory drive belt are two different things. Your Corolla has a timing chain instead of a timing belt, and what you should check is the accessory drive belt.

Reply to
Ray O