new third members installed

just installed some new third members today.... 4.88 with lockright in the rear.... some tech info: the flange bolt pattern on the rear drive shaft is slightly different on 84+ than it is on 83-. My solution drill new holes so i can use either drive shaft pattern. Tell me what you think.

BTW after installed the rear third we didnt have a drill for the new holes so i had to drive to my freinds house.... well since the front was still stock just dropped the rear drive shaft locked the hubs in 4x4 and drove front wheel drive....

Reply to
Michael J. Gulley

So the bolt pattern is different, but the little ridge that centers the shaft to the flange is the same size? I'm guessing you mated it up, turned it 45 degrees and marked the holes... then you drilled after marking and removng the shaft. Correct? Seems like a decent idea to me if that's the case..

how was it with just front-wheel?

Reply to
Celica Dude

Yep, that's how you do it. I think all the Toyota 4WDs use the same flange center. Just last week I did exactly the same to an FJ-45 Landcruiser rear flange to mate up to a mini-truck front front CV joint pattern, worked perfect. I just turned down an aluminum rod the the ID of the flange center and twice as thick as the flange center is deep. Slap the two flanges face to face, clamp and drill.

Reply to
Roger Brown

flange center. Just last week I did exactly the same to an FJ-45 Landcruiser rear flange to mate up to a mini-truck front front CV joint pattern, worked perfect. I just turned down an

flange center is deep. Slap the two flanges face to face, clamp and drill.

You have a lathe in your shop?

Reply to
Celica Dude

You bet, gets used nearly every day. Here's my flange alignment tool:

Roger Brown

nice looking alignment tool!

Reply to
Celica Dude