What next window motor?

1991 Explorer. How do I remove the Window Lift Motor from the right side (driver's door)? I have removed the door panel, the speaker and one nut that appear to holding the lift motor in place. There are three rivets protruding on the door panel. Do I need to remove all three? I have purchase a gear kit to put on the lift motor but not sure how to proceed from this point. I appreciate any advice. Respectfully Lou
Reply to
Luis Guzman

I've not done an explorer but when removing the whole assembly from a mustang I had to drill out rivets. If your new parts really only go in the motor you may be able to just remove the motor and not the whole assembly. Again, that was my Mustang experience when the nylon gears wore out, I only pulled the motor to replace them, not the whole assembly.

Reply to
AZGuy

This is copied right out of the 1992 Helm shop manual

Explorer, Front Door Removal 1. Raise the window to the full-up position, if possible. If the glass cannot be raised and is in a partially down position, it must be supported so that it will not fall into the door well during motor removal.

  1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

NOTE: On vehicles equipped with EEC, when the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the EEC processor relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles or more to relearn the strategy.

  1. Remove door trim panel and watershield. Refer to Section 01-05B.
  2. Disconnect window motor connector.
  3. Position the motor wiring harness out of the way. There are two holes and one drill dimple located on the door inner panel adjacent to the motor.

CAUTION: Prior to motor removal, make sure that the regulator arm is in a fixed position to prevent counterbalance spring unwind.

  1. Remove the three window motor mounting screws and disengage the motor and drive assembly from the regulator quadrant gear.

Installation 1. Position the motor and drive to the regulator and install the three sct~ews snug, not tight.

  1. Connect the motor wires at the connector and cycle the glass to ensure gear engagement. After the gears are engaged, tighten the three motor and drive attaching screws to 5.6-9.6 N.m (50-84 in-Ib).
  2. Install the door trim panel and watershield. Refer to Section 01 -05B.

NOTE: Appropriate plug buttons may be installed to cover the exposed hole at the trim panel edge, if necessary.

Connect battery ground cable.

Check the drain holes at the bottom of the doors to ensure that each is open to prevent water buildup over the motor.

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Check out the following web site; there's a section on replacing the power window motors.

I had to fix all four motors on my '91 EB a few years ago; the above web site helped a lot!!!

Good Luck, Mike

Reply to
Tiger