Gearing for 35" tires?

Greetings! I just bought a 1986 Toyota, 22R, 5-speed, that is already on 35" tires. The gearing is stock. What would be a good ratio for a new ring and pinion set?

Thanks!

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Definitely needs new gears, these are too tall for the tranny and TC to be getting adequate lubrication.

411 or higher would be your best choice. (I assume it has 387) Calculate whatever will bring your speedo back to accurate and go with that.
Reply to
DanG

| > Thanks! | >

| | Definitely needs new gears, these are too tall for the tranny and TC to be | getting adequate lubrication. | | 411 or higher would be your best choice. (I assume it has 387) Calculate | whatever will bring your speedo back to accurate and go with that. | | |

This should help you some:

Here is another:
I bought an '87 4X4 with a 22R carbed engine that had 33s on it. Living at almost 4,000 ft AMSL it didn't have enough power for me to use 5th gear. I went back to 235s and liked the truck much better. I only lost about 1 inch of ground clearance by doing so.

IMO you need at least 456 gearing.

Here is a Toyota forum that you may find your answer. You have to join (free) in order to post. Good luck!

Reply to
Anyolmouse

I know for a fact or the Jeep wranglers that have 35's work best with

4.88 gears. I do not know if this would be the same with your 86 22r. Hope this Helps. Thanks Jamie
Reply to
Jamie Mello

| | > Thanks! | | >

| | | | Definitely needs new gears, these are too tall for the tranny and TC | to be | | getting adequate lubrication. | | | | 411 or higher would be your best choice. (I assume it has 387) | Calculate | | whatever will bring your speedo back to accurate and go with that. | | | | | | | | This should help you some: |

| | Here is another:
| | I bought an '87 4X4 with a 22R carbed engine that had 33s on it. Living | at almost 4,000 ft AMSL it didn't have enough power for me to use 5th | gear. I went back to 235s and liked the truck much better. I only lost | about 1 inch of ground clearance by doing so. | | IMO you need at least 456 gearing. | | Here is a Toyota forum that you may find your answer. You have to join | (free) in order to post. Good luck! | | -- | Anyolmouse | | ---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ---- |
offers corporate packages that have access to100,000+ newsgroups |

Here is the link to the Tacoma forum:

't know why it didn't get in the message the first time.

Reply to
Anyolmouse