Oil Foam

This may be a stupid questions but I have a smal amount of foam inside the oil cap on my 2005 Toyota Tundra. Is this normal? The truck is running great but when I had the oil changed I was told it could be a problem.

Reply to
Stephen

I just looked at the oil cap of my 2005 Tundra and I have the same thing. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for a fuel pump issue and I'll ask them about it and post what they tell me.

The fuel pump problem was posted by me on 3/21 and I got the following response: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Could it be TSB EG043-05 9/28/2005 - Toyota 2003, 2004, 2005 4Runner &

2004, 2005 Highlander and Sienna & 2005 Seqouia, Tacoma and Tundra. Some customers may experience a "no start" condition and/or M.I.L. "ON" with DTCs P0300, P0171, and P0174 after the vehicle has cold soaked in sub-freezing ambient air temperatures. To correct this condition a new fuel pump sub-tank assembly is now available. Follow the repair procedure to replace the fuel pump sub-tank assembly."

Also see

rich

Reply to
nospam

Foaming oil is often an indication that antifreeze in leaking into the oil system; possibly through a bad head gasket. Get it checked.

-CB

Reply to
Cyberbilly

I spoke to the dealer today and they said their parts manager has a 2005 Tundra also and saw the same foam. He immediately thought "Head Gasket". They said it's nothing to worry about and it went away after his 3rd oil change. I just did my second oil change on my 2005 Tundra, I wiped the foam out of the cap last night and it hasn't returned yet.

Reply to
nospam

Be very sure that the oil was not over filled.This could cause it to foam. Good Luck....

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Are you suggesting that some mechanics might be confusing quarts with gallons, especially if they work at those instant oil change places? How could that be? :-) :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

From what I've read the strange oil near the inlet and cap is a common issue with this engine. Also, from what I've read, it seems to happen more in the winter, especially if the engine is used frequently for short trips. I guess water has a tendency to condense there?

Shorter link version
rich

Reply to
rich

Actually this foaming around filler cap and crankcase vents is common on most engines. Usually, unless there is a large amount of foam it's not indicative of a problem. Dave

Reply to
davidj92