On board computer reader

Any advise on the possible purchase of an on-board-computer reader. Will any OBC II work.

Reply to
Ron Wicker

Presuming your vehicle is post 1996 I believe (although my 95 Tacoma is obdII compliant.)

I've been pretty happy with the one I bought here:

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Reply to
root

Reply to
Paul.

Reply to
Ron Wicker

Yes. Any OBDII compliant reader will work. The plug should be below the dash just to the right of the steering column.

Reply to
root

bbtaco

This was very helpful. Thanks to all that responded.

Reply to
Ron Wicker

OBD II (On Board Diagnostics, Level 2) is a standard that has been used since 1996 production cars and trucks offered for sale in the USA -- I don't know about the rest of the planet, but I see no reason to not install it.

Since it is a standard, then you can use any OBD II Scan Tool to extract codes and reset the on board computer. Actron makes 4 models, priced from about $40 to about $120, I'd select one of the mid-priced units that run about $80 if I was buying one.

AutoZone will either scan the car for you, or let you take the tool out to the parking lot where you can scan it for yourself. (Whether they do it or let you do it seems to be a function of the state you are in.) It is a very easy tool to use.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland