OBC II Code Reader

Anyone ever use the Equus OBC II Code Reader, or similar code reader for diagnosing problems? Is it worth the $129?

Reply to
gkucera

L.W.(ßill)

You just missed out on a Miller tool off of Ebay that could have AFAIK allowed you to do more than just read codes. It went for $158 for the tool and $68 for the early Jeep adapters. I think Harbor Freight has a Code reader for about $50 or so. later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hey Dave, what are you doing here?

:-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

SHHHH I am expanding my horizons! lol And what are you doing here? later, dave AKA vwdoc1

"Peter Parker" wrote

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Well for that starting bid of $1500 you could buy a Snap-On MT2500! Or course that auction is cancelled. ;-)

And BTW my Jeeps did not cost that much to purchase. lol

later, dave AKA vwdoc1

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

dave AKA vwdoc1

Same here LOL. So besides the on off key diag tool counting the blinking lights on my 1994 YJ, what codes would the scanner helpout on that the blinking light misses?

BTW, what kind of Jeep do you have that needs the code reader?

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Well the tester that works on my 88XJ tells me most or all of the info that my ECU sees. Knock Sensor readings CTS temp

02 readings TPS readings MAP readings A/C on or off RPM etc. and I think it will show you that the CPS (Not sure but either cam or crank) is sending a signal too!

I have not tried to look at any faults (codes) since I am currently not having any trouble with my XJ!

So scanners/readers/testers will give you individual information on your FI or ignition components which can help you if you are experiencing any problems. It think the later the vehicle the more information you can see with the scanner.

correct me if I am wrong! later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

That's news to me. I didn't think the 94s were able because they are only OBD-I but I guess that would be DC proprietary and news to me.

Reply to
Peter Parker

A big wow!! For an 88, that's really high tech.

News to me. I'm going to have to look into getting a code reader/tester for my 94. The plug at the firewall seems to be odd.

Methinks too... It has to be more proprietary instead of OBD technology. I didn't know Jeep had this all already back then.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Yeah I bought the Bendix tester for my Jeep. Came with a big book of codes and procedures for it too. It originally was used at a Jeep dealership and they stopped needing it. lol later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Say no more. Can't compete with dealership equipment when it comes to test equipment prices. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)