OT: 77 Corolla Wagon

I'm looking into buying one of these. Any tips on problem spots to check out on a car this old? Certain frame areas and the like? 1.6 I4 5 speed. TIA!

Reply to
chuck

I had a 1975 Corolla sedan with the same engine with four speed tranny and the frame rusted through at the left control arm. There was much rust on the left side of the engine compartment too. The ignitor was bolted there and it literally fell off. The frame broke in two while driving which dropped the engine and crossmember about six inches. Tore up the plastic fan blade and screeched pretty badly but I drove it home about 15 miles and eventually junked it. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

What area of the country? In salt free, dry areas the body stood up relatively well, but in the wet and salty areas they rot out along the top of the fender apron, the frame just below the firewall and under the front floor pans.

The 2TC engine was pretty well bullet-proof. The te38 series was a pretty nice body. The 5 speed transmission is a simple bolt-in replacement and well worth the effort if you are doing any highway driving.

Reply to
clare