Oxygen Sensor

I have a 2001 Tundra V8 4X4 with 47000 miles on it. The check engine light just came on and the dealership says it is the Oxygen Sensor. I have heard of them going bad but not this early. Has anyone heard of this either?

Reply to
Eric Schnedler

Same thing on my 2000 Tundra. Dealership wanted something like$200 to change it and suggested I change "both" since the second one fails shortly after the first (to the tune of almost $400 total). Not sure which other one was was supposed to fail since there are four installed. Anyway, I went to Auto Zone and bought a Bosch replacement for about $70 and replaced it myselt. The Bosch I bought appeared identical to the oem. Since the new one was a "fits all" job, I did have to splice the pigtails on the new one which wasn't a big deal. That was several months ago and guess what? The "other" one hasn't failed.

John

Reply to
John E Benton

I have heard that all emission related equipment including the oxygen sensor have a 50,000 mile warranty.

OEM $115Front Universal $60Rear OEM $100Rear Universal $ 68

Reply to
Bard

Should be covered by the emissions warrenty (at least in US).

"Every car sold in the United States comes with a warrantyyou may not be aware of. It covers a variety of componentsfor up to ten years or 100,000 miles. This is a set of"emissions warranties," designed to ensure that cars do notpollute as badly as they otherwise would. It places theburden of emission system reliability on the automaker, sothey have to find ways to make the car stay "clean" for aslong as they can, or pay to fix it."

Reply to
Wolfgang

You might try cleaning the connector at the sensor first then re-set the fault codes. Gary W.

Reply to
Gjlwilliams

There was a TSP issued for that problem. Check at Tundrasolutions.com and search for O-2 sensor or go to alldata.com and find it.

Reply to
Bill & Lynda

what can u soke them in to remove the carbon from them?? wha tcolor should they be if ur running normal

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

The only cleaning I have ever heard about involved blasting the tip with a torch to burn off the carbon deposits. I don't know if it actually works though.

Reply to
Bard