Painting new front fender

Does any body have any information on how to paint ? I have a new front left fender for my 85 4x4 that I need to paint. I think it would be easier to paint it then install it. That way I won't have figure out how to mask and blend the new paint into the adjoining areas. Please let me know your thoughts or of any internet sites that would be helpful.

Thanks, I'm gonna spray this thing- Scott

Reply to
sjohnsen

I repainted my front fender with auto body primer and a matching color paint, (spray can). I hung it up with a bungee cord for painting. I think it came out pretty good.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Ya might trial fit it first --- real easy to scratch new soft paint. Paiting it when off will let you do a good job on the edges and don't forget to paint the back side too (an not just with primer which is not water impervious).

Reply to
Wolfgang

I tried the fender on the truck for size and fit today. It fit OK, though it seemed a little bowed along the seem adjacent to the hood. This resulted in a hood to fender gap that was a bit large/wide over most of the length of the hood/fender. I'm considering elongating some of the holes to see if I can push it over a little closer to the hood.

Reply to
sjohnsen