Re: 03 4runner questions

I've never taken my V8 out in the sand so I can't give you any 1st hand experiences, but I'd think the additional torque of the V8 would do you well out there. Besides, the V8 does have a 4 low range and locking center diff just like the V6.

The only drawback is about 1 or 2 mpg less than the V6. HTH.

Steve

I am thinking about buying a 4runner and am trying to decide between > the V6 > or the V8. I would like to take it on the beach on the east coast ( > MD,DEL,NC) to surf fish. I am wondering which drive train would be > better - the multi-mode with the V6 or the full time that comes with the > V8. I am leaning toward the mulimode because it gives you 4wd low but I > also like the idea of the full time 4wd, I am just worried it may not > get me out of soft sand. > Also any comments on reliability and satisfaction would be appreciated. > > Thanks
Reply to
Me

The V-6 has tons of power, you don't need an 8 on the beach. Plus you won't always be in fulltime mode with it. More flexible. Better fuel mileage. If you're towing near the vehicle limit you might want to seriously consider the V-8 to grapple better with ramps etc.

We've the 6 and I must say it hauls.

Reply to
Bob H

Both give you low range if you select it. I liked the V6 more as the V8 never revved hard enough to deliver that extra torque before it went for the next gear.

Around town, the V6 was faster and smarter/snappier. The V8, though, gets its better 0-60 times past 45mph when it has that 4th gear to wind through(as opposed to the V6's 3rd). Overdrive I'm not counting because it drops out the second you do anything with the engine other than cruise control/coasting.

The V6 also stops a few feet sooner and plows a bit less due to about 200 lbs less front weight.

I'd get the V6 4wd Sport myself - that active suspension is a HUGE improvement over the other lines. Also, get the plastic body panels instead of the colored ones - they will take scrapes and dings and not loose paint or scratch and look ugly like the painted ones will.

I whacked my fist HARD on one at the dealership and zero damage. Didn't want to try it with the painted ones. Looked like a bumper on a Metro - flimsy and ready to loose paint from the first rock.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander