Re: Can anyone tell the difference between rotors and pads (truthfully)?

I found out from another thread that brake rotors can't warp

There are many causes of brake pedal pulsation.

and it > seems nobody on this planet can really (reliably) tell the difference > between brake friction materials (because there are no standards > whatsoever) according to >

And it matters not a snip.

> So, since I have horrible brake-induced wobble in my Toyota 4Runner,

There are many causes of brake pedal pulsation.

how DOES anyone buy the right parts given there are no regulations > or standards to protect us?

Gee, it's funny how brakes have become absolutely stellar over the years compared to those that existed in 1920, and that in the complete absence of any sort of regulations at all except the requirement of a dual-circuit system.

Even compare brakes from 1970 to now. Regulations were not needed to rid us of unassisted drums...

> We may as well close our eyes and choose randomly for all the lack of > standards. Which leaves me to my most important question, having to > trust in your judgement and experience (which I don't have).

Don't worry. Toyota has done that for you. Just buy OEM and you've got the best there is for your car.

> Where would YOU buy a good quality rotors & pads for a Toyota 4Runner? >

The dealer.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

This is the only one I'm personally aware of:

Hugo Schmeisser

"Hugo Schmeisser" wrote in news:762dnaOjgI7dBprZRVn- snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca:

Hello Hugo, Time and time again, you're the voice of reason with answers!

I checked prices today for new OEM rotors & I was amazed at the results! I called three local dealers and a half dozen Internet suppliers. Predictably, the dealers were at list or above list ($107 per rotor). One local Toyota dealer was way off base at $123 per OEM rotor.

Likewise the lowest Internet dealership was about $72 dollars. But a few were at or near the local dealers' prices for OEM rotors.

The

was close (at $76 dollars) to the lowest price. So, I now have my two preferred Internet-aware Toyota dealers that I can now deal with forever without having to perform much further research (I want to keep THEM in business by giving them my business!).

Thanks for being the voice of reason and answering the question asked. Because of you, we now have a good answer for everyone!

Stu

Reply to
Stuart A. Bronstein

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 06:24:37 GMT, "Stuart A. Bronstein" wrote:

~"Hugo Schmeisser" wrote in news:762dnaOjgI7dBprZRVn- ~ snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca: ~>> Do Toyota home mechanics have a similar the-only-right-choice ~>> Internet- aware mechanic's friend dealership? ~> This is the only one I'm personally aware of: ~>

[...]

Who's the other one?

Reply to
Father Guido