Re: The Taco buying experience

I leased an 03 Tacoma and can share similar experiences.

> I have some tips for those in the market. A lot of this is probably > common sense but I overheard a few deals at these places where I > wanted to slap sense into some guys who were clearly without a clue. > > 2. Then call the nearest 3 or 4 dealers and ask for their best price. > The offers will probably be very close, but still not their strongest > deals.

There were only 2 dealerships close to me. The dealership farthest away had the better price and I used a faxed quote from the fartherest dealership as ammunition for the salesman at my local dealership

3. Go meet one of the salespeople for a test drive. If possible, as > crazy as it sounds, try to target a salesperson who is younger or > seems quiet or timid, and avoid ones that are loud, brash, call you > "buddy" or "sport", smile a lot, or just seem sleazy in general. You > can also do this kind of screening over the phone. Hang up and call > back until you are connected to someone who seems easier to work > (with).

I lucked into a young guy and he was easy to deal with.

5. DO NOT BUY ON YOUR FIRST VISIT, YOU WILL OVERPAY. String them > along for a week. They NEED your business, you just WANT a new truck. > Prey on their desperation. Every salesperson wants as many sales as > possible.

I walked out many times, even on the day I was suppose to sign the papers. I was to get the bedliner at no charge, $250 value. They added it in at the last minute. I told the salesman I wasn't going to take the deal because they told me they give me the bedliner. I never said another word. He wasn't sure what to do so he sent me home with the promise he call me back. I got the bedliner for free in 2-3 days.

7. Before you go to sign the final paperwork, speak to the finance > guy and find out the doc fee and any extra fees. Feed the numbers > into Excel and get the bottom line price yourself, then send it to the > dealer and say "This is what I expect to pay. Please check these > figures and make sure they match yours." In my case, they tried to > add $211 in tag fees, but I got the real figure from the DMV web site: > ahem, $20.00!! Watch these people like a hawk, they make a living on > these tricks.

I always brought my Palm Pilot with me that had a Loan/Lease calculator. He hated when I took that out haha

Good tips Mark.

Reply to
Brad P