Neighbors Car Buying Experience.

My neighbor across the street got a 2003 GMC Yukon XL 4X4, with a cloth bucket seat interior a few days ago. O % and a $3500 rebate.

It was one that was sitting on the lot at a Pontiac / GMC dealer about 2 miles from where we live. They test drove a couple different ones that were in stock and really liked the Yukon..

Just to compare the GMC vs Chevy they also went down the road 2 blocks to Chevy to look at the Suburbans they had.

Three different Suburbans had malfunctioned as they looked at them. The first one the salesman was very eager to show my neighbor & his wife the power fold in mirrors that are heated, dimmable and have turnsignal arrows built into the glass.....My neiighbor wasn't interested in them.

The first fold in of both mirrors, it jammed folded in and wouldn't unfold. Lot of laughing and telling the salesman " See this is why I don't want that option ".

The second Suburban they looked at all the digital readouts were shown in Spanish. The salesman couldn't get it off of Spanish. He read the manual, pushed all kinds of buttons but it wouldn't change As they drove the vehicle it kept repeating Door Adjar ! Only in Spanish.

All the doors, lift gate & back window were firmly closed. My neighbor told the salesman he didn't want that feature either.

Suburban # 3 wouldn't start.

The salesman at Chevy was trying to interest my neighbor in one that was fully loaded, leather, chrome wheels and running close to $50,000. My neighbor told the salesman he wasn't interest in any of the trucks here as nothing seemed to work right on any of the ones they looked at plus they were no base models or ones with little to no options. Most of the ones had tons of Extra $$$$ items on them.

Anyway,,,,, while I'm looking at this Sandalwood colored Yukon on the driveway he tells ME, I need a New car. I said to him, " For Christ sake YOUR the one with a 25 year old car ( 78 Olds 88 ) on the street ".

LOL !

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~269,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I have had many of the same problem selling them but it all comes down to one thing the dealership. Problem 1 if the dealer had done the proper delivery inspections when the unit came in the mirror problem would have been found. Problem 2 the owner of my dealership did the same thing with his new demo the solution using the steering wheel controls go to the last options I believe its the language choice then push the enter to not to Spanish but to English(salesman needs to know the vehicle a little better) Problem 3 we have the same problem all the time the unit sits for some time and the battery goes dead just have to grab the battery booster and get it started. But you have the real reason he bought the GMC the dealer had the one he wanted not the Chevy dealer.

Reply to
John

Yeah Harry, that's a funny story. Your neighbor's got some nerve to tell you that you need a new car. The Bonneville with the 269,000 miles is just about broken in & has a lot more years of service to give. What kind of shape is the neighbors 78 Olds?

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

not all dealerships are the same. when looking around for a new vehicle, my wife and I were also considering the 3 makes: suburban/Yukon XL/Denali. the folding mirrors took awhile to figure out without using a manual. the digital readouts only took patients to learn. we didn't get the Denali because a friend of ours just bought one. we looked into about 5 dealerships within a 45 minute drive. they all had different colours and option packages. our prereqs finally came down to extended length/light puter metallic/z71 package (suburban). the all-wheel steering would of been nice though.

the first dealership didn't seem interested in helping (we didn't look like we could afford one). the next dealership kept pushing the trail blazer because another couple was looking at the one we wanted. as with your experience, there were no base models and each one had extras that I wasn't interested in (such as Onstar/heated seats/dvd/etc). unfortunately, the one we chose didn't have the 2 driver memory settings.

after awhile, the fun factor for purchasing a new car diminished. the final decision relied on the dealerships customer service. we called the salesman and ask if he could drive the vehicle to our home for a final test drive. he did so and he therefore earned our business.

without listing all the options, the total purchase on the 2003 suburban was $46k with the 0% and $3k rebate (no trade in).

-a|ex

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Is the neighbors Olds for sale now??? Would love to have it if it was a 2 door...would love it even more if it was a Holiday 88

8upman
Reply to
Eightupman
8 Up & Markwb,

Your gonna love this one. My neighbor that has the 78 Olds 88 2 door, triple green in color inherited it from his uncle in 1991 the same month I bought the Bonneville and when I still had my 78 Olds Holiday 88 with

196,000.

So the Olds was 13 years old in 1991 Mine had 196,000 Chucks had 600 miles! He got it from an uncle in Wash DC who died. The uncle bought it new and with only 600 miles on it drove it an average of 50 miles a year, that breaks down to about 4 miles a a month for 13 years !

The car has about 26,000 miles on it today, some surface rust on the roof & up high on the quarter panel. Headliner fell down last year. This was also one of those paint jobs where the paint washed off the primer in some areas, but didn't rust. About 20 years ago my neighbor bought a

66 Catalina 4 door sedan from the same uncle, that was a government car with only about 55,000. Some day he'll repaint the Olds.

A neighbor 2 houses south also has a 66 Catalina 2 + 2 under a tarp in the garage. I never seen it and its used as a table piled high with junk.

My 78 Olds I discovered in a junkyard about 3 weeks ago. It has what I beleive to bre 329,000 miles on it. Painted on the quarter panel in yellow letters it reads Motor Junk Water In Oil. The floor is all gone too. I wrote a detailed post on it a few weeks ago.