1992 4Runner occasional clutch slipping.

Just looking for ideas what might be causing this.

I have a manual 5 speed V6 1992 4Runner with 315,000km on it. It was my wifes before we got married so I don't know much about the repair history.

Sometimes when driving the clutch will slip really bad, in upwards of second gear. Just a half press of the accellerator will cause it to slip. However other times you can't make it slip if you want to.

I took it to a mechanic and he couldn't recreate the symptoms, he just said that it looks like it will need to be replaced soon based on the friction point being high on the pedal travel.

Is this a normal symptom of the clutch dying, or is there something else going on? For a while we did have a power steering leak so I thought that might've been causing it (dripping fluid), but that hasn't leaked for months now and the symptoms still exhibit themselves once in a while.

TIA!

Reply to
xoltri

Yes. It sounds like a clutch that is dying. With 315k miles, it should be worn out. Actually, odds favor it having been worn out once already, now it's worn out for a second time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, this is definitely a symptom of a clutch not 'dead' but on the edge. Humidity, temperature, truck speed, torque reqired to keep it moving - all can affect whether a clutch at the end of its wear cycle will slip at any given moment.

Reply to
Mike Harris

Reply to
xoltri