Rear sits low, 94 4runner

When I put even a couple hundred lbs of gear in the back of my 4Runner, the ass end sits low. What are my options for getting this thing to sit level, or just a bit higher in the rear? Thanks all!

Reply to
David N. Emmet

Coil spares or heavy duty/lift coil springs are two options:

Roger Brown

this is a known issue with your generation 4runner. i have a 92 with the same problem. i bought a set of progressive springs from

kinda pricey but it's meant to solve the sagging issue.

Reply to
Cruizer9

Reply to
The Gunslinger

Recall? '90 4Rnr ever got a recall notice --- nor does ALLDATA have anything on one posted. You can also lower the front torsion bars a bit.

Reply to
Wolfgang

At one time I worked for a Toyota dealership.

I forget the correct term..it's not a recall so to say..but Toyota will replace the sagg>Recall? '90 4Rnr ever got a recall notice --- nor does

Reply to
The Gunslinger

After ten model years, that's what I call dedication!!!

Tom - Vista, CA

The Gunsl> At one time I worked for a Toyota dealership.

Reply to
TOM

Special Service Campaign. It's an "internal recall" (not one the government is forcing them to do) if the customer has a problem that they know about and have a fix for.

Some people with 22R motors got their head gaskets replaced twice under SSC's - they had to redesign the gaskets twice before they got ones that really worked.

With my FJ-62 I've gotten free rear seat-belts for upgraded retractors, and I believe there was a fuel tank hose and gasket SSC also - they had to drop the fuel tank to get at the hoses.

Toyota's pretty good about fessing up when they make a big mistake, and making it right - they want you back again to buy another car.

But some of the little things, like known cheesy radiator tanks that all develop cracks in the same places with age and time (usually from a badly designed or scratched stamping die, or not enough lube when they draw the metal) often don't get attention. Then again, radiators are cheap enough to be 'disposable' wear items.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

There's also a recall for the 1996-1998 model years for the real coil springs which came out in Jan 2002. We had the recall work done on ours without ever noticing any visible sagging prior to it. They used a beefier, stiffer spring with a center piece and installed new bumper mounts. When we got it back the same afternoon (within two hours I am pretty sure) we definitely noticed a difference in handling and ride. Not a lot of people we've run into had even heard of the recall. Anytime we meet a saggy-4Runner owner (the truck sagging, not the owner, of course,) we mention it to them. For the 1996-98 the

site has a bulletin listed: NHTSACampaign ID number 02V021000 Like someone else mentioned, for earlier models, the 'service bulletin' doesn't show up on the NHTSA recalls list. Worth checking with your local dealer though, might save yourself the work and cash for installing an aftermarket replacement. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Reply to
Bill Wolcott

Snips...

That's interesting, I'd never heard about the 22R "problem." My head gasket went, about two years ago. I took it to a local garage and when I got it back, the owner said they send the 22R heads to a local machine shop that uses a heliarc to build up an area that is too thin. They then mill and machine it. He said they never have returns for headgasket problems on the heads they have modified. I didn't think to ask for the details...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Knew it was one or the other... :-0 (oops.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

No problem, thought maybe I'd missed something. That's been known to happen on occasion. >gr< Bill W

Reply to
Bill Wolcott

Saturn on the other hand never "fesses up" to ANYTHING ! ( IT IS ALWAYS THE OWNERS FAULT )

The next one for me will be a toyota truck , I have had excellent service out of the toyota trucks I have owned , and fortunately have a

1982 22R that still runs great ( with care and minimal maintainance )---and I would not even consider a new saturn in trade for it , unless I could *immediately* sell it for another Toyota Truck !

tim---can > >The Gunsl>

Reply to
tim kettring