'85 1-ton engine dilemma

Hi guys. I am new to this group, but figured this was the place to ask questions.

2.5 weeks ago my 85 Toyota 1-ton blew it's rod bearing. Instead of replacing the engine again, I opted for another truck. I got a 86 extra-cab, longbed (yes it has both and is really long) in excellent condition.

Now I don't want to get rid of my 1-ton because it is really rare and since I do metal fab, that 1-ton suspension has been really useful.

What I want to do is bring the truck back to life. I have to choose how to do that. It currently has the Fuel Injected 22REC engine. A good rebuilt one is around $1500-$1600. A junyard pulled engine is like $500-$700 as far as I can find. I spent a lot of time and money over the last year replacing a lot of parts on the truck so I really want to bring it back.

There is the option of a Buick or Chevy small-block V-6, but it just looks like too much trouble.

I am thinking about rebuilding the engine myself. I have a metal fab shop, and since I have the 86 to drive for now there is no immediate hurry.

On the 85 I have done everything except the engine itself, I have been leery of actually getting inside the engine without training, or at least supervision.

I can buy a rebuild kit for around $400, but is it better to rebuild the engine in the truck or on a bench? The tranny was last done about 150,000 miles ago, but can't be tested until I get a working engine on it. The truck as 265,000 on it. The factory engine died at 185,000, and I got about 80,000 out of the rebuilt one I bought 7 years ago. I have had this truck since 89, and it has been cared for, but also USED a lot.

I love this truck. There is some question whether the block is worth rebuilding since it might be too damaged. I figure I could get a pulled block from local junkyard, and just rebuild the engine on a bench.

Thoughts?

Also what is the best book on rebuilding a 22R?

I am also planning on converting the 1-ton to a flatbed. It won't have the duallies, but that is fine. I have wanted a flatbed really bad over the last 2 years, since I started building a lot of heavy steel staircases. Having one truck with an overhead rack and one with a flatbed is a dream of mine. I am going to add some booster springs to my 86 to take it to a 3/4 ton suspension.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Repalce it with a good used engine, best value, quickest turnaround time.

Reply to
MDT Tech®