Rough startup on 1988 2Bbl Toyt Truck

My 1988 Toyota Truck 2WD 2BBL Carburetor has rough starting problem.

If it has been sitting for over 8 hours it blows black soot after start up out of the exhaust for the first few seconds after I press on the gas peddle.

Then it idles rough for about the first 20 minutes whenever I am at a stop light. It seems to have a wave sound like it wants to stall. Sometimes after I get to my destination it still runs about 2 or 5 seconds after I turn it off. The odd part is sometimes after I run the truck for 20 minutes and turn off the engine and restart it runs great.

Please advise how I can fix this problem?

Reply to
Mark

Sounds like the fuel shutoff solenoid is bad/dirty. This can be identified as a small cyliinder with a single wire running of it. If you unplug it while it is running and you notice no change then its bad. if idle get worse the its most likely ok. This shut-off cuts out the fuel to prevent your engine from running for 2-5 seconds (aka dieseling) Next try the choke. Try to prop the choke open when its cold and then start. If the black soot is not comming out then its your choke. keep in mind that it may be hard to start with the choke propped open. After that you may want to try adjusting your float and clean out the jets but if you are going to do this then you may as well rebuild it.

James

Reply to
Palm Springs Hydroponics

Thanks I tried as you suggested and still no luck so I assume I will have to rebuild the carburetor.

Could my problem also be the AAP diaphram? If so how can I check that? Someone said I could just put a clamp on the fuel inlet for the AAP and see if it runs better with that to diagnose the problem.

Please advise.

Reply to
Mark

the A.A.P. diaphram is leaking. To check just pinch off the vaccum line that attaches to the A.A.P. after you start your truck cold. the A.A.P. is located on the valve cover side of the carb. and is attached to the carb by 3 screws. The extra fuel is being sucked into the intake manifold thru this vaccum line. toyota sells a replacement for about $25.

Reply to
jromanec

Thanks, it was the AAP.

Now it runs like it used to run. My next question is I had this problem for about 10 months and was wondering what damage I did to my engine or carburetor by letting this go that long??

Reply to
Mark