2005 Tundra DoubleCab start noise

Any help diagnosing the following noise would be much appreciated.

The truck is a brand new 2005 Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 (275 miles). It starts from cold normally. I drive it at least long enough for everything to get warmed up. I then turn it off, and wait between 15 minutes (approx) and 2 hours (approx), and then start it again. Right as the starter engages, or a fraction of a second after, I hear a metallic sounding clang (sort of hollow sounding), though the engine starts just fine. If I immediatly turn the engine off and immediately start it again, I do not hear the clang. If I wait less than 15 minutes (approx) from when it was last running, I do not hear the clang. It does it regardless of whether the A/C is running. I was able to get an audio recording and can email it to anyone interested (it's only a few seconds, so the file size is very small). I live 2 hours from a dealer, so if I can get an idea of whether it's something to be worried about without the long drive, I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
MJ

Take it back to the dealer and make them fix it. It is their problem plus you will have it documented in case of future problems.

Reply to
IBNFSHN

Ask at TundraSolutions.com

Your noise is unusual. Have you tried listening under the hood while somebody else starts it? You might locate the noise and take a very close (safe) look. It could be something simple you see, or at least you can point the dealer in the right location.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

It just happened to make the clang noise as I got into the truck yesterday, before I had even put the key in the ignition. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side exaust manifold, based on location and the pitch of the clang. My guess is that as the exhause system expands, something is actually moving (sliding) a little. Then as it cools and contracts, it's being held up by friction someplace, and the jolt introduced by starting the engine (or even getting into the truck) breaks it free and makes the noise. Does this sound plausible? If so, how hard will it be for the dealer to fix?

Reply to
MJ