S-Runner owners unite!

An S-Runner you say!? Do you know how rare your truck is? Congratulations for picking a winner. I've got a supercharged 2001 S-Runner with positraction myself. Do you have anti-lock brakes? Whatever the case, you can run larger rotors if you're willing to move up to 17" wheels. Before spending that kind of money, go to Auto Zone and ask for their Performance Friction brake pads, part# 4334. They are guaranteed for life, and they're under $40. Toyota Racing Division once marketed these same pads under their TRD badge for more money and with no guarantee. Many of us performance junkies use them, and although they make lots of dust, they deliver far better comliance than the original pads, and they're carbon metallic so they get better when they're heated up. Original brakes are the opposite.

The S-Runner already has a very good 60-0 mph stopping distance (127 feet) if everything's working correctly. If your original brake pads weren't properly bedded, they may be glazed. Otherwise, I can't understand why you'd feel that the brakes suck. If you have anti-lock, then I agree that it sucks, but it's not the brakes' fault--it's the damn anti-lock system taking over the controls.

Join us S-Runner owners on Delphi @

andalso @
You'll get lots of good advice and info on both sites.

Reply to
Rad

performance junkies use them, and

Hi Rad,

Thanks for the info. S-Runners are hard to get, I know. I tried to get a new 2003 in December but there wasn't a single one in California at the time. I ended up getting a Toyota 'certified' 2001 with 14K miles on the clock. The dealer said everything was "perfect" on the truck but there are several details I've found that suggest otherwise. The pads on there now could very well be some auto parts shop generic organic type. The tires that came on the truck are new but are "Road Hugger" brand that I've never heard of before, not the Bridgestone Potenzas that are supposed to come on the truck. etc. etc.

I do a lot of driving on the mountain roads here in SoCal and after a few miles through the twisties the brakes simply fade out to nothing. I don't think I have ABS,but the brake fade on the stock pads is excessive. I ran Ferodos on my 89 Toy PU and even with the stock rotors, the brakes were great.

I'll mosey over the Delphi forums like you suggest.

Thanks again for the info.

Reply to
Dave_SoCal

One thing dealers don't check on used cars is the brakes, if you look at their checklist for what they 'certify'. It costs them too much to mess with putting good brakes on used vehicles. Some dealers don't do shocks/struts either, from my experience. Count that as part of your cost when buying used, I guess, and factor it in to what you are 'willing to pay' when you start looking. Personally I feel better knowing for certain that I have working brakes by checking them and repairing them myself rather than trusting that the dealer/seller took care of it.

The dealer said

Reply to
Pookerz