someone shoot me please... went american car, need toyota advice...

Okay, no offence to you american car lovers out there, but I did somethign I promised myself I'd never do after selling my Blazer... and that was never buy an American car again. So, throughout my life ive owned 3 honda accords... one went 400,000 miles (started every day, no problems), we have a 2003 now and we love it, and I sold my 97 accord (foolishly) for a beautiful 1992, arrest-me-red corvette...

and of course it has been in the shop 3 times this month and I hate it...

so, having owned it for 2 months, im ready to sell it. Always had "a thing" for toyota trucks... wife and her family are toyota people big time (wife is now a honda girl, by marriage).

Needed some advice. I am all about reliability. I dont want anything that I need to know how to fix. Seemed like my hondas just had the oil changed and the tired rotated (and the occational radiator flush) and nothing else and they somehow still managed to run perfectly. I want a car/trusk that will be the same way.

Im looking at tacomas (the 4x4 of course, or at least the 'big' toacoma, not the baby-style looking one) or a mid 90's land cruiser.

My budget is $10,000.

I know tacoma owners who love thier truck, so I am assuming the tacomas are reliable and wont bust a radiator hose even though you check them often and leave me stranded at church (ahem, vette).

But I dont know any land cruise owners. Ive never really been a big "SUV" kind of guy, but I do like the land cruisers. I would like to be able to pull a little john-boat with either, 4 wheel drive isnt really necessary. having a truck means im asking to have it barrowed by friends moving (not fun). And having an SUV means high gas usage, but more room for future family (maybe a baby in a year or two).

Of course having owned a vette, which requires PREMIUM gas, gas milage isnt a big concern for me, anything is better...

this may sound like a ramble, but I dont knwo where else to look for advice...

thansk in advance! Jazz Mann....

ps... maybe a 95 supra!!! okokok, maybe out of my budget range...

Reply to
jameson

S'Okay. I had to buy my brother's 1-ton Chevy Utility Bed for a work truck because Toyota doesn't make them that big. Of course he gave me a deal, especially considering the brand new engine he put in with 10,000 miles on it - seems a con rod gave up the ghost at 110,000 miles from a factory defect (it looked like the crack had been there a while), and not-so-neatly punched a hole through the side of the block...

Getting left dead for something stupid can happen with any car, but Toyotas seem to do it less if they are well maintained. Better engineering and they do not try to shave the cost of a component $1 if it will hurt reliability.

Detroit is constantly trying to build cars as cheaply as possible, yet still be reliable. (Well, at least till the warranty expires, after that they don't care...) Tokyo is trying to build them as reliable as possible, yet still be a good value. BIG difference in basic design philosophy.

I have an 88 Cruiser, and the newer ones are even nicer - but that $10,000 cap may be a problem, as Toys tend to really hold their value.

Damned thing will go almost anywhere it will fit. (I've followed a Suzuki Samurai places where I was insane to go, but I had it in 4WD - pointed it in the right direction, picked the proper wheel placement and hit the gas, and it went. But when saner logic and reason took over and I looked back down that hill, I went out a different way...)

And the 92 and later Cruisers had more power (small V-8's) more towing capacity, and are probably pushing past your price range. But you'll get most of it back when you want to sell.

If you're worried about the "Can I Borrow Your Truck?" calls if you get a pickup, put a shell on it and bolt it down "permanently". That should stop the annoying ones. ;-) If you really do want to help, find three more people to lift and pop the shell off for the weekend.

I get 15 to 16 MPG city/Hwy combined everyday driving, and that's with the 4.0 Straight Six, a heavy foot, oxygenated gasoline and an automatic transmission. Electronic Fuel Injection is a wonderful thing, it'll squeeze a gallon of gas till it screams. ;-)

Yeah, and you really don't want one with the 6-speed stick - they are WAY too darned easy to blow a downshift and grenade the engine.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Hi Jazz Mann...

Advice coming from a child of a Toyota-loving mechanic. I have an 86 Toyota Pickup (predecessor of the beloved Tacoma) and it has been a great truck. She's getting a little old and needs some attention now and again, but she has 220,000 miles on her and was completely 100% dependable for the first 200,000 miles of her life.

My sister has a 96 (I believe thats the year) Toyota T100. T100's aren't made anymore, but they occupied the slot that the Tundra's took over. It has a V-6 in it and pulls fairly good power considering. Her truck has

168,000 miles on it and runs like a friggin top.

My dad and my brother rebuild old Toyota landcruisers for many years. They are literally the go anywhere do anything vehicles, at least the older fj-40, 45, 55 and 60's (those are the "jeep-style" and wagoneer type Toyotas you may have seen in rock crawling competitions. As far as the newer "yuppified" suv's, I haven't heard anything bad about them. They seem to be good trucks, but like Bruce mentioned, they keep their value and are considered luxury vehicles, so most will pass your $10,000 budget.

I would do some research and try to find a well-maintained Taco that is a few years old. Go for the V-6 if you want to tow anything (unless its a yacht).

Short story: I used to drive some delivery for extra money, and the company I worked for had a 95 Taco they used to run small deliveries. That truck was brutally abused...you know how people treat vehicles when they aren't theirs. Anyway, that truck just ran beautifully even though it had been in several accidents and had been driven by speed-addicted maniacs.

Basically, I agree with everything Bruce said. If you want a V8, if you want a newer Landcruiser or Tundra, you'll have to put out the bucks to get it. I think you would be perfectly happy with a nice V-6 Taco, as long as you make sure you get one that has been properly maintained and respected by its previous owner.

Happy Toyota hunting.

Lisa, Colorado

Reply to
LisalouLiLRed

WOW! thanks for your insight Bruce! You really came through for me...

beleive it or not, I have found 2 land cruisers in my price range... of course they are already sold...

The toyota dealers in town are VERY proud of thier tacomas... TOO proud....$$$

ill stay on the lookout.

thanks again, and any advice you can send my way is appreciated...

I went here

to check out some reliablity ratings... either toyota trucks haveengine issues, or MSN just doesnt like toyota trucks...

Reply to
jameson