Used 'SeaFoam' fuel cleaner in my 2002 SantaFe with incredible results

Im very wary of snake oil remedies so i was reluctant to buy a can of SeaFoam from Pep Boys Store ($6.99) when I heard it really works . It comes in a 16 oz. can and can be added to the gas tank , the oil crankcase, as well as having it sucked in slowly thru the intake vaccuum hose that connects to the PCV valve. Following the cans instructions, i added it to all 3 just before doing an oil change. Not only did i notice a smoother idle, but, it is more throttle responsive. I monitored my gasoline guage and typically with around town driving, I rack up 150 miles when it gets to the half full mark on the guage ; but after adding the SeaFoam, I got 173 at the half full mark with the same driving habits. While i havent refilled yet, i know my gas mileage is going to be better . What i have is a 2002 SantaFe with the 2.7 litre motor and 49,000 miles on the odometer ; ive changed oil every 3,000 miles with filter.

I just want to pass this info along to say that this SeaFoam product has made a very noticable difference . Has anyone else had positive results from using it ? It can be used in 2 cycle engines also. Im sold on this product now.

Dave

Reply to
IlBeBauck

Before you are sold on it, do an actual mileage test with and with out. Then total the dollars you spend versus the dollars you "save".

I have no problem spending a little to save a little at the pump, but only to keep it out of the oil companies hands.

I betting if you do a methodical test, you won't see a real gain. Clay

Reply to
Crabman

I'm with you Clay. There are so many variables in fuel mileage that you have to check at least 5 full tanks to have any meaningful values to compare. The few people (Popular Mechanics, CR, etc.) who have done fairly controlled tests on these additives and devices have, without exception, found that they don't help and often hurt both performance and fuel economy.

Good advertising can really make you want to believe that something helps. If you don't believe me, next time you get a prescription, actually read the little sheet stuffed in with the drug. You will see the results of tests for both efficacy and side effects. You will note that most drugs are compared against a placebo. And the really interesting part is that often the placebo uses also report an improvement in whatever the drug is supposed to improve! I've seen a number of drugs where the placebo effect was almost as strong as the benefit of the drug.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I'm with neither of you. IMO, the OP was just a slick spammer shilling for someone. Reads too much like ad copy for me to believe. Ed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

REPLY: Youre ALL wrong ! Hows that ????! Its not 'an ad' ...im simply passing along what actually worked well in my Hyundai since this is a Hyundai NG and ive often posted in here. Further, after adding SeaFoam, I immediately noticed a better running motor and better miles out of the tank of gas. Hey..look...im just trying to help out my fellow Hyundai enthusiasts ; if you dont appreciate that, then pass on responding to the post i made. But dont be pomptuously presumptuous !

Reply to
IlBeBauck

Well I wasn't wrong because I claimed nothing. Now, your response, smells of bullshit.

Do the tests like I said and you'll see who's actually correct.

Clay

PS. It's a shame companies like Seafoam never actually do any dyno tests. :)

Reply to
Crabman

I'm cynical, but I'm usually right about the spammers and no, I'll not pass on responding if I choose not to.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

de quoted text -

REPLY: Again, youre both wrong ! I have no 'B.S.' in me and am not a 'Spammer' . You both have hostility due to lingering emotional anomolys but nothing a good enema cant correct. End.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

quoted text -

I said nothing hostile to you. Clay

Reply to
frijoli

There are those in every newsgroup. Praise a product and you are a seller. In the Hard of Hearing newsgroup if you say how well you like America Hears, there is bound to be a ton of flak thrown your way.

Just keep doing what you are doing, some of us appreciate it.

Jim

REPLY: Again, youre both wrong ! I have no 'B.S.' in me and am not a 'Spammer' . You both have hostility due to lingering emotional anomolys but nothing a good enema cant correct. End.

Reply to
jim

After a few google hits, I'm convinced this is daveinlakevilla. In that case, I'm convinced this isn't a shill or an ad, but I'm still quite skeptical of the results (especially considering the strange fact thatthis product was added to the intake, oil, *and* gasoline). Must say, though, it really does read like ad copy, which is why Edwin made his post. In fact, I was on the same page as Edwin prior to my googling. And I'll be quite surprised if the results continue past the first tank of gas, if that long.

Of course, if I'm not right about the identity, you're welcome to correct me on the matter, but that'll probably also mean this gets stuck back on my "probable shill" list.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Well, I guess I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt until I see compelling evidence otherwise. The OP didn't come across to me as spam, just someone who isn't rigorous about checking fuel mileage and had one tank better than the last and attributed it completely to the additive rather than to normal variation which is the more likely explanation.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Nothing personal, but you simply CAN'T know that a difference was made by checking ONE tank. Statistics and the world just don't work that way.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The hostility is my mother's fault. She made me eat liver as a child and I never got over it. My father wouldn't let me drink beer until I was twelve and it had a detrimental effect on me. The teachers made me stand out in the hall during class because I farted too much in the classroom and it made emotionally unattached.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good post, Mr. HyundaiTech (as usual). I have a LOT of older men in my area here who swear by this stuff. But I have tried it (at their behest), and was unimpressed by it.

One of the things it seems to work well for, though, is as a substitute for "fuel stabilizer." But if the stuff is just as cheap (and I can indeed get it just as cheap) why use it.

I will say, though, that one thing I can say for relative certain is that it won't do a car any harm (unlike many other products). And for some, it may indeed help.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

REPLY: Yes, it is also me :Daveinlakevilla. I have a Laptop now and a new ADDY. This SeaFoam product is very popular amongst Mechanics and old timers. The Classic Car finatics and RV hobbiests swear by this product. Sorry if it sounded like an ad, but, I thought my fellow Hyundai owners might like to know about this product . I dont own stock in the Product or at Pep Boys and if you dont wish to believe me or the products acclaim, then, my feelings wont be hurt. Just giving a heads up based on my personal experience and from others.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

REPLY: Incorrect. Since my driving habits are the same in this car, I constantly accrue 150 miles to a half tank of gasoline. , each and every time. This tank of gas since adding SeaFoam has yielded 23 above this.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

Well, that simply isn't possible. Nobody can fill up the tank to the exact came level each time, not all pumps are exactly calibrated, changes in weather cause changes in fuel mileage, etc. I keep a spreadsheet of each fill-up in all of my vehicles and compute the fuel economy each and every tankful. It isn't unusual at all to see 5-10% differences over just a few tankfuls and the change from summer to winter blend is very noticeable.

What you wrote above confirms that you don't know much about statistics and what it takes to compute fuel mileage in a mathematically rigorous manner.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I don't know about better gas milage (it's possible) but in the motorcycling community stale gas from winter storage and carb gumming up is a real problem.Seafoam is a very good product and well spoken of for cleaning gmmed up carbs and prolonging gas life.I use synthetic oils in ALL my bikes Accent and Nissan pickup so I would never need it in the crank case.I'd say with an older engine or one without proper oil changes Seafoam could be a help especially with hydraulic lifters.I use it when it's on sale in the gas as a preventative for carb problems.No ax to grind either way.I use it belive in it,you do what works for you.

Reply to
CBX2

I totally agree, I have a motorcycle and I have given a dose of Seafoam when I put her to sleep in the winter, and believe me it does wonders and cleans the hell out of the intake, valves and so on.

I have used it on my Santafe 2001 once a year, half a can on half a tank, and had no problem with the injectors, this reminds me to give the Santa a dose soon.

If you own a motorcycle, you would understand what Seafoam can do. I am lucky to get a couple of cans from the States cause here in Quebec is unknown. What a PITY

Reply to
tango