Squeaking Clutch

I have a '90 4runner. Every once in a while the clutch squeaks like a banshee when depressed. I had one shop tell me it was the result of a plastic bushing gone bad. I don't necessarily think so because the squeak seems to be coming from somewhere underneath the car and that year does not have the same bushing assembly as later models.

I had another shop said it was normal and could not be fixed. I don't think that is right either.

I also greased all the joints in the cab to no avail.

I also noticed it squeaks most after I take it to the car wash.

Any ideas?

Reply to
grinder

Well, sounds like the external linkage needs some grease. If you don't know what goes where, then buy a friend a beer and have him work the clutch pedal while you go squeak hunting under the rig with a can of lithium grease.

Reply to
Andy Hill

I'm assuming that you mean a squeaking noise as you mash the pedal; it would occur whether the engine was running or not.

That one was addressed by Toyota's TSB TC005-99. It actually calls for replacing the bracket. The TSB lists the part number for the replacement pedal brackets for either 4 or 6 cyl that will cure the problem. The TSB also specifically states not to grease or lubricate the bracket.

If it's a squealing noise that occurs as you mash the pedal, that only happens when the engine is running, you probably have a throwout bearing on its way out. If this is the case you may want to live with it if it's an occasional happening. It's not worth going in unless it's very bad or you have some other compelling reason to replace your clutch.

Reply to
Mike Harris

Happens regardless if the engine is running. I still think it is odd that it only seems to happen or happens worse right after it is washed. In any case at this point in its life I will run it until it breaks.

Reply to
grinder

Well, if it really gets bad try going under with a spray can of lithium grease in the manner suggested by Andy Hill. It may not permanently fix the problem but it might at least buy you a few months of silence.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

It is not consistent. It goes away for a while and then returns. But I will try to locate the assembly under the car and hit it a few times with some grease.

Reply to
grinder