Clutch pedal squeak in 95-99 4-cyl. Tacoma (see TSB TC005-99)

After 220k miles, my 1996 4WD 2.7L Tacoma developed an intermittent squeak when the clutch is depressed, and sometimes only upon release. There is no obvious connection to weather, etc. I first noticed it on a hilly, low- speed dirt road this summer. It will go away for hours or even days, then return, mostly during frequent shifting.

This is a separate issue from the other common squeak caused by lack of grease on the pivot arm inside the bell housing.

According to TSB TC005-99, on 4-cylinder models you're supposed to replace the entire Clutch Pedal Support Bracket [RZN] (formerly P/N 55107-35040) with the redesigned bracket (P/N 55107-04010). But it doesn't explain exactly what's causing the squeak, which sounds like rubber on metal (or wet rubber). At one point I thought it was my shoe squeaking on the pedal; a similar sound.

I asked a dealer mechanic the exact reason for the squeak but he only knew of the V6 issue, which involves replacing the U-bushing on the torsion spring (the TSB recommends NO grease for the V6 or the L4). The 4-cyl. apparently has a different pedal mechanism but I'm not sure how it differs.

This issue appears on Tacoma web forums but nobody seems to understand the true source of the squeak. You read the usual assumptions about using grease (NOT recommended in the TSB) or tightening the pushrod nuts, which never quite fixes the problem.

I don't understand why you'd have to replace the entire Clutch Pedal Support Bracket (for $100) after it's worked w/o noise for 220k miles. Does the bracket get warped over time? What exactly is causing the noise?

Thanks for any technical info. - Jack -

Reply to
Jack

Check out the spring that pulls on the clutch pedal.

Reply to
Rhaspun

Rhaspun wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a9g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

And what exactly about the spring (which I'm well aware of) would be causing the noise?

Jack

Reply to
Jack

My 97 4Runner developed a clutch pedal squeak which I discovered to be the result of deterioration and disintegration of a small nylon bushing in the clutch pedal linkage. I tried to purchase the bushing but had it explained to me that it was not a replaceable part, that I needed to replace the entire linkage assembly. That was at about 150k miles. I went home and tried several different lubricants and found that white lithium grease in an aerosol can worked best and lasted longest. So, for the next 75k miles I turned upside down and sprayed the linkage ever 4-6 months or when it started the annoying squeak again. Just traded that 4Runner in on a 2010 Tacoma this past spring. I'll have to take a flashlight out and see if the same whit nylon bushing is still in the pedal design. Maybe I should begin a program of pm on it.

Reply to
JMc

"JMc" wrote in news:ibnfua$qbv$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

A dealer mechanic mentioned that bushing (and recommended full replacement), but TSB TC005-99 says that applies to the V6, not the 4- cylinder models. It doesn't explain why that is, since they both seem to have a similar bushing on the torsion spring. I haven't crawled under the dash and studied my pedal yet, but my 95-97 factory manual only shows one style of clutch pedal.

My original question was about why they recommend replacing the entire clutch pedal support bracket ($100). They don't recommend grease for either model, so lube seems like a temporary fix - as you've noticed. I haven't tried lube, but may end up doing so.

I mainly want to know the reason for the 4-cyl. bracket redesign and whether that relates to the bushing at all.

To make it clearer, here is TSB TC005-99, with diagrams:

(view at "original" size) This newsgroup used to get postings from dealer mechanics who had done actual TSB repairs. Is anyone still around?

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Very interesting, and thanks for posting the TSB. I know it was you who had the question, and you ended up providing some additional insight to a puzzle I wrestled for a couple years and several 10's of thousand miles. At this point, I can absolutely confirm lubricant was only a temporary fix, and once the bushing was damaged, it did get a little sloppy, but never enough to make clutch action inoperable. I know quite a bit less about that era of Tacoma, is it possible the 4cyl clutch was mechanical while the v6 was hydraulic? Unfortunately, you are right, there is very little traffic here in this news group any longer. Have you tried one or another of the Tacoma World

or Tacoma Nation forums. They at least have plenty of traffic. Good luck, Jere

Reply to
JMc

"JMc" wrote in news:ibq46g$dj4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

The clutches on all Tacomas (1995+) have been hydraulic.

I'm wondering if that TSB is poorly written and you're also supposed to replace the bushing on the 4-cyl. along with the new bracket. I just haven't studied mine yet (partly due to an injury). Seems odd that the bushing is said to wear out much sooner than 220k miles on many trucks.

I know of TacomaWorld, etc, and have read a lot about the bushing problem. General concept:

(looks like a hassle to just replace one small piece) One guy made a custom bronze bushing to reduce failures, and to allow grease to be used for more protection (grease on plastic isn't ideal).

I have also seen questionable advice about replacing the torsion spring with a standard hardware store coil spring, which alters the pedal dynamics that they engineered in.

The whole support bracket issue doesn't get much notice, but in reading about some (T-100) bracket breakage problems, it may just be a stronger design that holds its shape better. That leads me to wonder if one cause of the squeak is not the bushing so much as the pedal alignment.

Too bad about this fading forum. Usenet as a whole has lost major ground to the Web. But these posts get archived on various websites anyhow.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

For any & all concerned:

The 4-cyl. clutch pedal has a regular straight spring, not a torsion spring like the V6. That's why the TSB makes no mention of a bushing for the 4- cyl. trucks. The support bracket seems plenty sturdy and the reason for its redesign is unclear.

Photo of 1996 4-cyl. clutch pedal:

It also remains unclear where the squeak originates in the 4-cyl. pedal mechanism. It could be an entirely different origin and just coincidence that both models end up squeaking after awhile.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

I have a 08, which also has a squeaky clutch pedal.

Reply to
SnoBrdr