squeaking front wheel

there is a squeaking sound coming from my leftfront wheel and it seems to happen after driveng for about 15 minutes.it sounds as if the disc pad is rubbing on the disc wheel then when u turn the wheel slightly it stops and stars when u straighten. i have on sport rims i wonder if this causes undue stretching of the brake lines, but it only hapens on the left wheel.when i apply the brakes the sound stops also.

Reply to
96xekingcab

On 1/31/2005 8:40 PM US(ET), 96xekingcab took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

have the same sound on my 97 XE 4x4 king cab. LF wheel squeaks when I first start off, until I reach about 40 mph and then it stops. When I slow to about 20 mph, or stop and start off from a stop sign or light it starts again. It happens whether I am in 4 wheel drive, or two wheel drive. Applying the brakes at any time, under 40 mph, does not stop the squeak.

Reply to
willshak

Could be your pads -- they have a tab on them that will make noise when they get too worn down. It may be telling you that it is time to get them replaced.

It could also be that the pad is not quite sitting right. Worst case, the caliper could be seized or not floating, but most likely you'd notice a pulling to one side if that was the case.

Between the pads and brake caliper normally shims are placed. Between the pad and shim, usually one puts a rubbery substance. It is there to minimizef vibration and resonance. Since the pad has worn down some, the resonance is different than normal and you hear sqealing at certain speeds.

I'd take the wheel off and inspect the brake assembly (caliper, disk, pads). How much wear do you have one them?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

the pads arent worn to that extent but i notice that there are some grooves on the disc wheel i wonder if skimming them and changing the pads would help.also is the speed sensor on the 96 xe 4x2 manual the same as the 98 diesel 4 door 4x4 and i would like to know which instrument is the sensor as looking at the gear box i see three electrical things that screw in with wire attatchments what are they?

Reply to
96xekingcab

this rubbery substance between the shim and the pads,exactly what is it and what sustitutes are available.

Reply to
96xekingcab

On the inside of the hub there are two seals, one for dust and one for grease, in very cold or very hot climates the dust seal can get very dry and it will make a sound like the pad squealer makes, either replace it or put a little grease on it........

Reply to
Pacific Sun Automotive

Oops sorry about the delay -- didn't see your question. It comes in what looks like a glue bottle. It is not unlike glue in its consistency and becomes rubbery after it dries. Most autopart stores will have it. I have a bottle that contains pink stuff, but my previous bottle was black.

Reply to
Remco