tach question

whats the easiest/best way to get a tach on a 96 tacoma? v6 model, not and sr5 tho.

96 Taco v6 5speed 4wd
Reply to
Steve Grammer

Get a whole instrument cluster from a junk yard. I bought one for my '95 Tacoma (4 Cylinder, 5 speed) and it plugged right in and worked perfectly. IIRC it was about $75.00

The only problem is the mileage id different. the truck had about

61,000 miles on it and the speedo has 134,000. No big deal as I expect to keep this until it it won't run any more, and then the extra 73,000 miles won't matter.

I don't know how critical it is, but I found an instrument cluster from a truck just like mine. Same engine, transmission, cab etc.

Ken - West Union, SC Population 270 + 2 (counting dogs and chickens) "If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail."

- Abraham H. Maslow

Reply to
RunnerBiker

I asked my dealer about this very thing, he said he didnt think 96 had a connection in the wiring harnes for one, can anybody confirm or deny this?

Reply to
Steve Grammer

Steve, My Tacoma is a 1995 and the speedo was from a 1996. All other specs were the same. I know that does not answer your question. Your question concerns the wiring in your 1996. not the capability of a replacement instrument cluster that clearly has a tachometer in it.

When I asked the parts and service people at the Toyota dealership, they were doubtful too, since they said there were more than 50 different wiring harnesses specified for the 1995. I took a $75.00 chance and got lucky. Additionally, the new cluster had a trip odometer which the original did not.

Ken

Reply to
RunnerBiker

You think maybe this is why so many are for sale on e-bay? sombody tried and they didnt work???

Just thought that!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Grammer

If the rest of the harness plugs in and just no signal for the tach - you can add a single wire. I know on 84-89 PU it was a quick simple conversion (required a swap out of the oil pressure sender to accommodate both gauge and idiot light. I'd go for it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

ok, i understand that, and that sound promising. My next question is where would it be connected to on the engine side? Would i be able to get a plug for it to hook up there or what? maybe buy the plugs that came off the new cluster?

Reply to
Steve Grammer