Tacoma 04 speedometer

I like my Tacoma 04 truck- but, why did they design a speedometer which only records to the mile, not the tenth of a mile? How many pennies did they save with such a design?

--

************* Joe
Reply to

Really? How odd. I've never noticed that. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Not a big deal until you get directions from someone whose house is impossible to see from the road, and you need to go exactly 2.3 miles. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'm not sure if this is a question or your complaint but some odometers will show tenths if you switch to the trip log setting. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Does the trip odo record tenths? Most do, just as my 2001 Subaru Outback, and 2005 Tacoma, in trip A & B. My '99 Jeep TJ only has one trip memory. None display tenths on the master odo.

It makes more sense to have tenths on trip odos, as many people reset them from waypoint to waypoint.

Cost savings is achieved by using a display with 6 digits vs. seven. I'll bet it's more than a few pennies.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Do you mean the odometer?

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Who cares about tenths of a mile? The tenths are recorded on the Trip Meter.

PS It is common practice these days to not record tenths of a mile on the Odometer, but they are recorded on Trip Meter.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's still not a big deal because you can use the Trip Meter for that measurment.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It must not be a big deal to me because I never even noticed it. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

The trip meter is usually where the tenths are . Joe

Reply to
Joe

PS on the previous PS The only vehicle I own with tenths on the odometer is the one that hasn't got a trip meter. I have an '81 Jeep and an '89 Ford motorhome, neither has a trip meter and both have tenths displayed on the odometer. My '93 Mazda, '94 BMW, and '02 Tacoma all display the tenths on the trip meter only. I just turned in a rental car, no tenths on the odometer.

Bottom line, you're ragging on Toyota for doing what everybody else has been doing for a decade, Toyota has probably been doing it that long as well.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Germans did the same thing in my 1968 VW Beetle that I have

Tina

Reply to
Tina

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:38:11 -0400, "Tina" found these unused words floating about:

But in the VW, that was the ONLY means of recording the miles ... the Taco has "A" and "B" trip ODOMETERS that record to the tenths.

FWIW, speedometer is the MPH dial.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.