Tacoma Dual Exhaust

I'm thinking of buying a 2006 Tacoma TRD Sport with the V6. One of the options is dual exhaust for $350. They say it well increase your horsepower and MPG. Does anyone have dual exhaust and if so did it help with the gas mileage or power. I'm planning on towing a trailer at times with this truck that weights around 2,800 Lbs. Thanks

Hey Jim

I've already towed a 4,000 pound trailer with the stock '05 exhaust. The truck needed no help.

Dual exhaust is not a Toyota option, but a dealer option. For $350, it probably is only dual tail pipes. As I recall, my truck only has one catalytic converter, and there is no way $350 would include a second cat.

The HP gain you'll get would be minimal, the MPG gain is a lie.

I'd pass.

Reply to
Bonehenge

On the other hand if your looking for better MPG and a better top end, I changed out my stock air box for the K&N model #6300 intake And was surprised to see a 3 to 4 MPG gain. I do a lot of freway with hills, and drive btw 65 and 85 depending on road conditions The first time I hit

300 miles per tank and still had a quarter left was well I was happy. Great truck...
Reply to
Billstein

So, you drive around at 4800 RPM? There's actually science involved, you know. As a pilot I know a little about how to read performance graphs...

Reply to
Bonehenge

Reply to
Billstein

This guys tests actually saw a decrease in HP with the K&N,

Reply to
Robert

Interesting because I put a K&N air filter on my '98 Envoy 4.3L V6 and it didn't make any different's in the MPG. On my Envoy it's easy to tell because it has a read out for average mileage and instant mileage. That's something I'll miss when I sell it and get the 06 Taco. I see a product called Scangage

gives you your mileage and much more. Has anyone ever used one?

Hey Jim

A buddy of mine has one, and it's interesting, but not interesting enough for ME to buy one.

From what I know, most of those devices depend on the data your particular vehicle provides. Some computers send out more actual data than others. I don't remember the exact details, but his Maxima didn't output a parameter or two, so not all of the features were usable in his particular case. I'm sure the manufacturer of the exact gadget you're interested in could provide the exact details for your application.

With the computing power available today, data like fuel flow, EGT, etc... should all be right there for the picking.

What would make it all REALLY fun (for a few minutes), is if you could actually manually manage the engine. For instance, in piston powered aircraft, there are displays providing cylinder and exhaust gas temp, fuel flow, manifold pressure, etc... and the pilot can change loads and mixtures to attain best power, best economy, or a compromise, as desired.

Of course, I know that most folks would probably damage the engine with lean knocks, trying to save gas, or trash the emission system running too rich. Even most of the knowledgeable folks probably couldn't beat the computer's results. I also recognize that aircraft aren't subject to the constantly changing conditions that a vehicle sees. It might be fun to play with, though!

Reply to
Bonehenge

I really don't care what the poor guy down the street says. I know it works for me,.The model 6300 the entire intake not just the filter..We all know that computers are perfect and in no way can be improved upon..I like the extra Mileage. I dont work for k&n I am a consumer so do what you want. All I know is this works for me on a 2005 tacoma 4.0.

Reply to
Billstein

Stop it, you're killing me with laughter!

This is the actual performance graph from K&N, from an actual, real world dyno test on an actual 4.0L Tacoma:

All of the meaningful gains (and they really aren't that meaningful) are

4000 RPM+, with the most gain @ 4978 RPM. It's all right there on K&N's own chart.

_My_ '05 Tacoma turns ~2500 RPM @ 75 MPH in 6th gear. Look that "gain" up on the graph. This is PHYSICS! The rules don't change 'cause you believe they do. A 1.5-2 HP gain is going to make absolutely no difference in MPG.

Any actual MPG gains you might be seeing are due to:

1.) Your driving habits changing because you want to save gas, conciously or unconsciously. 2.) The truck is still breaking in to max. efficency. 3.) Fuel formula differences. 4.) The actual conditions (atmospheric, traffic, terrain, load, etc...) during the tank.
Reply to
B A R R Y

Yes they do. My dad says his Lincoln Navigator gets 32 mpg, no matter WHAT the sticker says. :-) Of course, he's just desperately trying to defend his purchase of the silly vehicle.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

downhill with big tailwind. :)

Reply to