Tacoma oil change

Years ago oils were lower quality and engines didn't have the modern controls to burn the fuels as cleanly. In those days 3000 was wise. These days it is a waste of oil, time, and money.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

NAPA-Gold filters are relabeled WIX filters...very good. Also very good are Toyota filters, Purolator, Baldwin & Hastings. Champion Labs has a new filter construction technique that I don't like. These are their "E-Core" with a plastic cage inside the filter, plus other changes. Champion Labs makes K&N oil filters, Mobil 1 oil filters, Champ, Lee, Warner, SuperTech, STP, (U.S.) Bosch, Luberfiner, others. Look out for the ones with that plastic cage inside the media.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I was wondering why that SuperTech filter I bought looked so different than previous versions, and why it's so much lighter. I have less worries about thermally bonded nylon endcaps compared to the epoxy glued to cardboard endcaps that Fram usually uses.

Reply to
y_p_w

Thanks guys....

ROBERT F. THOMAS

Robert F. Thomas

It's because the tolerances for American car motors are measured in feet, so they need all the help they can get. That's why, for instance, you can ride blindfolded in the passenger seat and assuming your nose isn't stuffed, you'll know when you're following a Chrysler mini-van older than 6 months, or just about any Blazer. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's because the tolerances for American car motors are measured in feet, so they need all the help they can get. That's why, for instance, you can ride blindfolded in the passenger seat and assuming your nose isn't stuffed, you'll know when you're following a Chrysler mini-van older than 6 months, or just about any Blazer. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

My (non-dealer) mechanic and the Toyota dealership both remove the pan for oil changes. Leaving a vehicle dripping oil means the job's not done, and it's the mark of a total slob. Would you go to a surgeon who said he was running low on sutures today, and might have to leave you oozing just a little?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Update....weather here in Michigan took a crap and laying on the ground just isn't going to happen for this guy. Took the Avalon in and changed it to Mobil one and their filer also....went back with the Tundra to just change the filter and after paying 15.00 for the Avalon he did the trundra for free....did not remove the skidplate tho and they never do if they can reach the filter. Yes he dripped some oil to were he dumped it. K-mart was selling the mobil one for 3.99 in the qts...not a blend. the Mobil one filter were 10.95 ea. for all my three different changes. could not find anyone selling Pulator.

I asked them to grease....told me that there were no grease fittings on the Avalon or Tundra.....is that true?

Thanks...

ROBERT F. THOMAS

Robert F. Thomas

I don't know about grease fittings for the drive train (actually, the manual mentions some, but that's outside and you can get to yours faster than I can get to mine). But, there are plenty of easy things that need a spritz of white lithium spray. Hood latch, door stuff, things like that.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

for a 3.4 If you wrap a long rag, old t-shirt works, around the base of the filter to catch the oil as you spin it off (as fast as possible) you can keep to mess to a minimum. oil filter access thru the flap in the wheel well in front of the shock I like the filters that say Toyota on em, I've been buying a dozen at a time from these guys

dissembler

That's true.

2wd at least. I think the driveshaft has fittings on the 4wd, but I'm not sure.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Thought I'd provide a update on the oil change to Mobil one oil I just did on my Avalon 2004 that has now about 8500 miles on it. For sure it has increased mileage per gal.. Looks like about 2 miles better....at 73 miles per hour the mileage goes south but we never got 27.5 ave before on a trip....yes I did reset the mileage....thing

Another thing about my 2003 Tundra....had this noise usually in the morning after sitting over night....sounded like a clicking....then went away as I drove it for a few min., thought it was related to being cold....tappet or what ever.

After my recent trip and not using it for two days the battery was stone dead...put on the charger and it started up ok....drove it 15 miles left it for 8 hours and it struggled to start but it did....next morning it was dead again....looked for something left on like an interior light but could not find a thing....charged it up but it was again dead....took it to were I trust and asked then to test to see of the alternator was charging....it was, but not enough and now I am thinking that was the ticking noise I was hearing.

going to take it in to the dealer when I can get the time.

ROBERT F. THOMAS

Robert F. Thomas

With Mobile one it definitely is! Best oil I have ever used.

Reply to
C. G. Haley