Tacoma oil change

Just bought a 2001. Manual says change the oil every 5000 miles. Every other vehicle I have owned had to be changed at 3000 or

3500. I don't think the oil is better today so why 5000? I drive 100 miles a day to and from work and would love to change every 5000 as it would save a lot of money. Is it really ok to change at 5000 with mostly highway driving?
Reply to
Nightshift

The manual for my 2001 Double Cab says 7500 for that kind of driving and

5000 for harder driving. I usually do mine in the 4000-5000 range.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Frank is totally right. It is 5000 or 7500 miles. Now Toyota has standardized to 5000 miles for all vehicles. And Toyota has never said oil needed replacement every 3000 miles, that is a US car specification, probably so customers had to pay for more service???

Check out the Toyota maintenance site for more info:

ggal

I'm pretty sure 3k oil changes came from the oil companies, filter manufacturers, and service departments.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

I'm glad they didn't settle on 1,000 miles or monthly, whichever comes first... :>))

Reply to
TOM

Nobody settled anything.

It's called "marketing"!

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

It's because the tolerances for American car motors are measured in feet, so they need all the help they can get. That's why, for instance, you can ride blindfolded in the passenger seat and assuming your nose isn't stuffed, you'll know when you're following a Chrysler mini-van older than 6 months, or just about any Blazer. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If you're driving 100 miles a day and it's highway (not stop and go) then 5000 is more than adequate if you are using a good quality oil and filter.

7500 used to be acceptable for your (and my) conditions until 2004 when Toyota eliminated that interval.

Todays oils are indeed better, but the main thing is that todays fuels burn cleaner, so they send less "junk" into the crankcase, and todays engines are FAR better.

I've got 110k on my '03 Tundra and it's just as strong as it was on day-1. Doesn't burn A DROP of oil (I put in 7 qts, I drain out 7 qts, dipstick never moves) on 7500 change intervals. I recently switched to the new Mobil-1 EP which they guarantee is good for 15k, but my plans are to stick to about 10k intervals. I *DO* use the Mobil-1 filter as well. Don't try to push a Fram to 10k. Purolator Pure-1 is another good one that's a bit cheaper than the M1.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

How do you know what's a better filter? Do car magazines arrange for testing and publish the results?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

:>)) :>))

Reply to
TOM

Synthetic media vs paper for one. Far better filtration (documented).

Specifically, Fram (and Pennzoil) filters feature about half the area as most other filters, coupled with paper endcaps. A filter with a smaller filtration area will still filter just fine, but not for as long. Fram filters are probably just fine for 3k intervals, but you won't find one in any of my vehicles for any interval.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Wix makes good filters. Look at the contruction. I don't ever use Fram.

Reply to
Ron Tellus

Ok....WHY? Is it that everytime you do something you always read after that you shoulda have done it this or thata way.....?

I just put in Mobil 1 in my 2003 Tundra and now I should have use their filer too....humm?

Can I wait till I get 3-4 thousand miles on that new fram filer and then just change the filter? Or am I going to have more on the ground than its worth....?

Draining oil from the bottom of the oil pan is one thing but I end up going to the car wash to clean up the spilled oil that collects in the guard thing of a thing....

How much oil would come out if you just change the filer without the plug being out? K-mart just had the filters on sale for 2.99 and the mobil one was

3.99....Sams was .15 more....watch it !

Where I was getting my oil changed want 15.00 to change the oil etc. with my oil and after the mess with the Tundra I figure to pay just that next time but will be ok doing my motor home as there is 50.00 attached to that change....

Do ya put in 7 qts in your Tundra?

what happens to the extra?

5.5 qts......help! ?????

ROBERT F. THOMAS

Robert F. Thomas

You don't have to, but I would certainly run a "premium" oil filter. A $4000 engine is not the place to cheap out on parts. Like I said, the Purolator Pure-1 is also a very good filter... probably every bit as good at the M1. It is a bit cheaper than the M1. Now... ANY Purolator filter is going to be good enough for a 5-7k change interval, but the Pure-1 will provide slightly improved filtration.

You could do that... just replace the missing oil according to the dipstick.

You should remove the skidplate. It's only five 14mm bolts and makes the oil change much easier.

For the small stock size filter, probably about 1/2 quart, maybe a little more.

they have a Mobil-1 filter for $3.99, or $13.99? $3.99 sounds WAY too cheap for the M1 filter... I pay $11 at Autozone.

I would never trust anyone else to perform work on my Tundra that I am capable of doing myself. I just changed my timing belt.

Extra 5.5qts? No... the stock capacity of the Tundra 4.7 V8 is 6.5 quarts. I use the M1-301 instead of the M1-102, which is a larger filter and brings the total capacity up to 7 quarts.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Like Rich said, remove the skid plate. Otherwise, you become one of the army of morons who thinks it's good to drip oil everywhere they go. The car wash isn't the answer.

All these questions!!! Focus on something important, something mysterious, like why cars are more likely to break down when you're far from home, and the only repair resource is a little shop of horrors run by some mutant who's got more oil on his face than you do in your engine, and says "Don't much like them Jap trucks but hell...bring it in".

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks...taking off that guard seems a little much for this back yard mech., and as I said taking it to a garage seems worth it for the cost. I have never seen anyone remove it in one of the "quick oil change places"...is that considered reg. procedure?

Alas! One more ?

How much oil? Surly not 7 qt.s ....I read that wrong......right? (Tundra 4x4 2003 sr5)

that guy....where did you say he was working?

Smile!

ROBERT F. THOMAS

Robert F. Thomas
3.99 was what Mobil one oil was costing a qt....they only had fram filters.

We have no one open after I get out of work at 1800 and k-mart is the place open....wish we had one of them auto Zones here....in Az. where we winter we have more choices.

Do you use 10w - 30?

This is what the dealer put in.....why does the book say different?

I had the same thing with my motor home generator....comes loaded with one weight from the factory but mech says if you live in Tx. in the summer its ok but here in Mi. use this weight....I can't remember that weight...will have to re-ck before changing it this next time.

I have always used 10-30 in all my car/trucks...and that goes for being in Az. during the winter too....I am usually out of there before it get higher than the 90's.

I keep my stuff a while and that is why I like the Idea of my 100,00 mile warranty.....so I am willing to pay more for the better oil.

Thanks for your help guys.

98 Camry XLE.....traded 02 Highlander....wife sunk! 03 Tunrda.....love it, but buy oil stock! 04 Avalon....still breaking it in....

((((((GO TOYOTA)))))))

ROBERT F. THOMAS

Robert F. Thomas

My (non-dealer) mechanic and the Toyota dealership both remove the pan for oil changes. Leaving a vehicle dripping oil means the job's not done, and it's the mark of a total slob. Would you go to a surgeon who said he was running low on sutures today, and might have to leave you oozing just a little?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yep. Takes about 5 mins or less and even an amateur like myself is comfortable doing it. I'd imagine the mess from removing the filter (on a

2.7 4cyl) and leaving the skidplate on would be considerable.

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

Okay... that is an excellent price for M1, but be sure that it's the full synthetic. They've relabelled some of their products and may be selling a synthetic blend at $3.99. Best I see M1 synthetic is about $5.

You don't get a day off?

5w-30, but 10w-30 would be fine as well.

That's what he's buying. It's NOT what was installed at the factory.

The main issue is the lower number when the engine is cold. A 10w will not lubricate as well as a 5w on cold starts in the morning. The 30 top number is fine for pretty much anywhere north of Mexico. I might consider a 5w-40 during the summer in Tucson or maybe Phoenix.

5w-30 is fine for Michigan.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer