Tacoma Security System

Greetings;

I bought a used 1996 Tacoma 4X4 extended cab a few years ago. To the left of the steering wheel it has a Toyota Security device with what appears to be a red LED and a small speaker. I did not get any remote or instructions for it. It does have Toyota VIP (vehicle intrusion protection) stickers in the window.

Does anybody have any info on this device? Do I need a remote to activate it? If so, do you know where I could get one? If not, how do I activate it?

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Henk Verwey "If you have nothing in life to die for, then life is not worth living." Unknown

Reply to
Captain

Yes, this appears from your description to me an RS 3000 VIPS system. You will need a remote. It will be a football shaped one in the color black. It will have 2 buttons and a red LED lamp. One button will have soem bumps on it (only reason for description is to assit in getting the correct one, there is many variations) and there is several of these on ebay, you can see this one at:

He has quite a few. Note, it must be the black ones, not the gray. Gray is for 98 and newer RS3000 VIPS.

Oh, that little speaker is a michrophone for the glas brakage sensor. Once you get the remote, you can clear all others programmed to it, then program the new remote for your rig. If you have power locks, it will also behave as a keyless entry.

Reply to
MDT Tech®