4runner oil leak

This is kinda long, but I feel like the whole story is important...

A little background info:

A few months back I had my oil changed at a lube shop near my house because it was more convenient than doing it myself. When I left the place, I drove to work about 40 miles away, and as I pulled in the engine started smoking. They hadn't put the drain plug in properly and all the oil had leaked out. I tightened it back up, filled the truck back up with oil, and when I got off work I went in and ripped them a new one. Lesson learned; I just change my oil myself now.

Ok, now the question.

Ever since all this happened, I've been leaking a little oil. Not enough to be a big deal, but still something I find bothersome. I checked the drainplug to see if it had been stripped or crushed up in, but it looks ok. It seems like the leak is coming from somewhere other than the undercarriage. Oil seems to drip down over the bottom of the oil pan, as well as the bowl shaped metal piece behind the oil pan (converter cover?).

Is it possible that this leak could be a result of the incident at the oil change place, or is it probably just coincidence. I'm not too mechanically inclined, but I am confident enough in myself to know how to change my own oil and diagnose minor problems. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks,

-Keith

Reply to
Keith

My guess is that when the engine was smoking and overheating (from lack of oil), some metal parts of the engine could have warped and sprung a leak.

Reply to
Shinnokxz

Have you checked if the oil leak is coming from the oil filter? Maybe they did not tighten the oil filter enough or they left the old oil filter gasket on after installation of the new oil filter. I would go back to the oil change place and hear what they say about your oil loss and leak.

Reply to
Galileo

Any idea how much of the oil leaked, or how much did you add back in? The new oil leak should be the least of your worries. Lack of oil and pressure will age your engine by 5yrs. Did they admit their mistake?

-RT

Reply to
righty tighty

When I went back the manager said he would have a look at it. He disappeared down into the pit for a few minutes and then came back up and said "I don't see anything wrong". I had already tightened the plug on my own so I could drive home from work, so I told him "of course you don't, I already dealt with it". He refilled the oil and said that he apologized if there was a problem, but that he didn't think any of his guys would do anything like that.

I was looking at it again today, and I can see oil dripping down the sides of the engine on the gaskets. I am so pissed off. I have no way to prove that these people are the cause of this problem.

-Keith

Reply to
Keith