Timing Chain Game

My '03 6 cyl. 3.0L Outback has only 30K miles on it. Should I be replacing the timing chain? I don't expect to reach 60K miles for at
least another 5 years.
What's the rule for low mileage Subies?
Al

Timing chains really shouldn't deteriorate with time like a belt generally does. I dont' think I'd be thinking about changing that until at LEAST 60k miles, regardless of age. Of course I'd have it inspected and would act on anything the inspection found that might accelerate that schedule.
Are the H6's really scheduled for a new chain at 60k?
Todd H.
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4
On Apr 7, 6:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

The H6s have no sched. interval for the chain. The tensioners typ. wear at 100K, 120K, 150K, or maybe more.
I hear the quality of oil and change interval has a bit to do with the tensioner/guide life.
http://www.pdxtuning.com/nasioc/PDX-H6-FrontChain2.jpg
http://www.sponaugle.com/nasioc/H6Build/H6Buildup-18.jpg
The chains make a bit of noise, supposedly, when the chain and/or tensioners need replacement.
Dave

The rule is that chains don't get changed unless they make noise.
Most chains don't have a "service interval" like a belt does.
Chains have no maintenance or issues until well after 100k miles. That is why they are FAR superior to the belts that are forced on us as an extra moneymaker.

I had heard that the conventional wisdom was to replace the chain the second time you replaced the water pump.
Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Well, how often does *that* go?
Does it leak first, or make noise first?
Dave
On Apr 8, 1:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

They generally leak or make a rotational 'noise' when they want attention.
Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

I've read that the chain is supposed to last for the life of the engine. I believe I've read this in Subaru's "Drive" magazine or on their website. John
FYI: My '02 VDC H6 Sedan is currently at 102,500; no problems
John A. wrote:

This of course is necessarily true, because a broken chain instantly ends the life of the engine it's in. :-)

Hah! Funny! However only in an interference engine... and I don't know if the 3.0 H6 is interference or not. John
On Apr 10, 7:23 am, "John A." <jamason56 at windstream.net> wrote:

I've been told yes, it is.
Dave