Toyota Maintain

I have a 97 Tacoma w/ 101,000 miles. I would like to make sure it's in good running condition but I don't want to spend $500 for a check up. Are there certain things that need to be checked out that are absolutely necessary? I have changed the oil every 3,000 miles since I've owned it. I've been told if I do that then taking it in for a $500 checkup isn't necessary. If I do take it in I'd like to have a list of things for them to review.

Reply to
MKO

A nice list of maintenance requirements can be found either in the owner's manual, or a separate booklet. Without knowing what's included in the $500 checkup, there's no way of answering your question.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

MKO sez:

An inexpensive diagnosis tool is engine oil analysis. See:

From their web page, you can have them send you a collection kit that you'll use to send them back a mid-stream sample from your next drain. They'll run an analysis of the contaminants in the oil and prepare a report that will indicate engine wear problems, coolant contamination, poor filtration, etc. You'll also be able to compare your results against averages for your model of vehicle. It's like a fingerprint on what is happening (or not) inside your engine.

Other than that, what about transmission oil changes? Greasing of the zerks on the drive shafts, steering and front suspension? Have you paid regular attention to these as well?

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

--

Reply to
vlj