Toyota quality

It appears to me from reading these three groups, that a majority of complaints are coming from owners of US/North American made 'Yotas.

Now, the Jap models weren't always 'perfect' but it seems most owners making actual complaints are owners of Camrys and Tacos, both US made.

A kid working at a tire place here in the NE didn't tighten the lugs on 1 wheel last time I got tires. The wheel fell off (I knew something was up and was going slow, and the damn thing almost bounced off the bridge I was on and 30 feet into the river...mised going over by about 1"!)

The tire company paid for my repairs and rented me a car to use while the repairs were done. They actually had to order something from Japan, so I had the car for about a week. It was a brand new 1999 Camry with everything.

Well, the driver's window came off the track and lodged halfway down. I took it to the rental place and the fixed it, and then the radio stopped working the next day.

Brought it back and driving out of the place the window got stuck again!

Any feedback? How about the Matrix. That's made in Canada....

Reply to
HachiRoku

I have an 02 Camry made in Japan ( Dec.01) only has 6K + change. No "Take Backs",everything worked from the Get-Go.Best car out of ten, I have ever had.My daily ride is a 99 Tacoma SR5.Purchased certified, used, after the Camry.No "Take Backs",every thing works. What more can I say ?

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Both Tacoma and COROLLA roll off the NUMMI plant (UAW workers) in Fremont, CA. Just thought I'd throw that in. LOL

Reply to
Philip®

Now I hear ya both, the thing to bear in mind is you are in the US, so more US-built stuff is going to be around.

I've heard of Japanese Toyotas coming to expensive griefs, especially since we get diesels too. $5000 rebuilds due to improper maintenence are not uncommon.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

FYI The plant in Cambridge Ontario produces Corrolla, Matrix and Lexus SUV's. Recently they disocntinued manufacturing the Solara there. I believe that was to make room for the Lexus product.

It is a non union plant although the UAW has tried once for certification and the employees rejected same and now they are knocking on the door again.

The issue is not wages but primarily mandatory overtime as I am told. A number of my neighbours work at that facility.

Mike

Reply to
Artfulcodger

Yeah....and under the umbrella of GM to boot....

Reply to
HachiRoku

I've had all Jap models. They've all gone hundreds of thousands of miles with very few problems.

What's maintenance?

Reply to
HachiRoku

Well, I'm not expecting you to take it back! ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

If Kerry wins you guys are all going to have to turn in your SUVs and buy one of these:

Dale

Reply to
dale.j.

How do you figure? Geo Prizm's last model production year was 2002. I've toured the plant. NUMMI manufactures the Toyota Corolla, Tacoma, and Pontiac Vibe. NUMMI is not just an assembly plant either. NUMMI has discontinued making the right hand drive version the Matrix, called the Voltz.

Philip®

"Improper Maintenance?" Is that like failing to change engine oil on a schedule appropriate for conditions? You have Charlene Blakes there too? ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

Looks like a Smart car that runs on air and tops out at under 70 mph. Interesting. Maybe they'll make a retrofit kit so we can keep our SUV's...

Reply to
slikrikd

When NUMMI was established, it was a joint venture between Toyota and GM, in order to build Prizms for sale at Chevy dealers. All the hiring at that time was done by GM. The manufacturing engineers were either from Toyota, or Toyota trained GM employees.

It was also the import center for other 'Geo' models such as the Tracker, Metro, etc.

If you can't beat 'em, have them make your product for you!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Have you checked the price of AIR lately? It costs fifty times more than gasoline. LOL

mike hunt

slikrikd wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Quality is a function of management, not labor. Always has been and always will be. Toyotas slipping quality ratings is the result of Murphy's law. The fact that they are now selling millions of vehicle rather than hundreds of thousand simply means more of the not so good ones show up in the mix. No manufacture makes a perfect vehicle, period. Today they all make good vehicles, the only real difference is style and price.

mike hunt

Artfulcodger wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Oh yes - just because Toyotas have a reputation for doing 300,000kms doesn't mean that you can do 300,000kms without changing the oil... hehe!

Especially with the diesels. They *NEED* regular servicing.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Incorrect. The first coproduction NUMMI car was the new Chevrolet NOVA ... largely a rebadged Corolla also produced at NUMMI at that time. Tracker and Metro were Suzuki and Isuzu products depending on the production year.

Also, GM did not hire and train new workers per se. The UAW had a rich supply of idled linemen from when GM closed the Fremont plant in

1982 ... which became NUMMI.

"-NUMMI and UAW as Partners Another historic first was the participatory labor agreement between NUMMI and the United Auto Workers. In return for NUMMI?s acceptance of the UAW as the bargaining agent for NUMMI?s team members and its willingness to pay prevailing U.S. auto industry wages and benefits, the UAW agreed to be an active participant and take a cooperative role in labor-management relationship at the plant. The UAW also agreed to accept Toyota's production methods and to work with the company to improve productivity and quality.

-Labor Relations NUMMI and UAW Local 2244 signed their first collective bargaining agreement in June 1985. Both parties committed to resolving problems together and seeking ways to improve quality, efficiency and the work environment. This commitment to NUMMI?s future continues today.

-A unique part of the contract is the emphasis placed on job security. NUMMI?s position is that it will not lay off employees "unless compelled to do so by severe economic conditions that threaten the long-term financial viability of the company." NUMMI has stood by its "no lay off" policy even through lean periods."

Reply to
Philip®

Ford makes vehicles that most perfectly perform to specification than anyone! ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

As a project vehicle, I have a 1982 Datsun pickup with the SD22 diesel motor. As clean as the valve train is (very much so for a diesel), all you have to do in drain the oil, change the filter, and put new oil in. Fire it up for 15 seconds and check the dipstick. The oil is already blackened. And this IS normal! Owner's book calls for 3,000 mile oil services.

I have a friend with a 98 Jetta TDI that's approaching 100k miles. Same thing with the oil.

Reply to
Philip®

Unfortunately statistics are against you on the statement you made. Cars are not all the same. Maybe Toyota is slipping a bit in terms of quality, according to latest long term JD Power study, but a Toyota still outranks most cars.

Reply to
Dan J.S.