Toyota Tacoma starter

Does anyone have any bad experiences with ordering parts from eBay, like a starter?
There's a new starter for sale on eBay for around $80.00. Would it be better to get one at a parts store?

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 11:29:42 PM UTC-5, dangerous dan wrote:

a starter?

ter to get one at a parts store?
I've only bought name brand consumables (e.g. filters) on ebay so I don't k now about starters but I've heard so many horror stories about lousy remanu factured starters that I would expect poor quality at that price. At least from an auto parts store you probably can get some kind of warranty.

Caveat your emptor. Gotta be a FANTASTIC deal to make buying a Toyota starter online, when every major center has a local rebuilder, and every auto parts chain carries rebuilt starters - and many local dealers will repair just what is wrong on a starter (like rebuild the solenoid or replace the brushes) at a reasonable cost (you take them the starter if you want to save the R&R labour)
Just the shipping on a rebuilt starter is half the cost of a rebuild.
On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 9:29:42 PM UTC-7, dangerous dan wrote:

a starter?

ter to get one at a parts store?
I purchased a water pump and got the wrong one shipped to me. The company was willing to exchange it so no big deal but it delayed my project. If yo ur starter clicks but won't engage I'd start off with purchasing new contac ts from a Toyota dealer and changing them yourself. Cost is about $15. If it is dead my first choice would be a NAPA starter. I've got one in my 19 91 truck that has been in there for 15 years, the truck has over 450,000 mi les on it so I would say it has been used heavily and has held up well.