Toyota Tundra V8 Pulling Power

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra V8 4WD which has pulled a 7,200# 1973 24' Stamas Fishing Boat for over 18,000 miles of its young 87,000 mi. life. The truck is far more superior to the 3/4 ton ford which I traded in for the Tundra. I was possibly thinking of trading in the Tundra at about 250,000 miles. We'll see if I need a new one by then. My wife just traded in her 1989 Camry for a newer 2003 model and it only had 465,000 miles on it.

Everyone driving anything else has my condolences!

Billy

Reply to
texas

That's a lot of weight, any you're certainly exceeding the Gross Combined Weight Rating Toyota put on these trucks, 11,800#.

Towing in mountains would be more problem.

I'd be sure to change the transmission fluid frequently and use synthetic ATF, change the differential gear oil occasionally, never tow in overdrive (we've been hearing that the overdrive gearset is a weak link), and keep that heavy trailer's brakes in good condition. In the summer heat I'd use

15W-40, or synthetic 10W-40, motor oil. Trick question...which has higher viscosity--10W-30 @ 200°F oil temperature, or 15W-40 @ 220°F...or 5W-20 @ 175°, or 15W-50 @ 240°. The answer---they're all about the same viscosity at those listed temperatures.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I was pulling a 3000 lbs boat with my 2003 4 runner with a 4.7 v-8 and I was not as impressed as you were. Only 8 mpg, and it really didnt like any hills. This is my first complaint regarding my toyota. Other than that I still love it.

Dab

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Thanks, maybe this was my problem. I will try it next time.

Reply to
Dan J.S.