toyota tundra

We recently bought a 2001 tundra, v8 for our son. Does anyone know the engine oil capacity? Thank you

Reply to
cc

6.5 quarts.

------------------------

"I guess with John Kerry?s choice of John Edwards as his running mate, he really does want to stand up for all Americans, from those worth only $60 million to those worth in excess of $800 million." - Ann Coulter

Reply to
Eric Dreher

That information should be in the Owner's Manual, assuming you got one with the vehicle.

Reply to
Roger Brown

When answering, I did assume they didn't get one.

------------------------

"I guess with John Kerry?s choice of John Edwards as his running mate, he really does want to stand up for all Americans, from those worth only $60 million to those worth in excess of $800 million." - Ann Coulter

Reply to
Eric Dreher

6.5 US qts 7 if you go with an FL1-A oil filter.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

DO NOT USE a Ford oil filter like the FL1A on your Toyota. EVER.

Rich, you should know better than to ever suggest it. Ford oil filters do not have relief valves or anti-drainback valves in them. The anti-drainback valve means the engine will take longer to get oil pressure up, which causes a lot of wear. But the relief valve is the critical part - Ford puts the relief valve in the engine, and Toyota puts it inside the filter.

When you do a cold start in sub-zero conditions the oil pressure spikes because the thick cold oil cannot flow through the oil filter element fast enough. With the proper Toyota filter, the relief valve pops open, bypassing the filter element for a minute until everything warms up...

But with a Ford filter there is no relief valve inside the filter, and the pressure spikes to the moon - causing the oil filter can crimp or base gasket to blow, and all the oil gets pumped out of the engine onto the ground - followed soon by the engine seizing from lack of oil.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The M1-301 does. Didn't realize that the FL1-A didn't, but I was only suggesting that as a cross-reference.

Which reminds me... changed the oil yesterday and I didn't get an immediate stream when the filter broke tension, even after a couple of turns. I thought, wow... I've got the front end on stands (normally don't jack it up) and it's been draining for an hour (while I did the brakes), but this filter CAN'T be empty. All of a sudden, goosh... Okay, there's the oil.

For the first time in 30 years of changing oil, the gasket stuck to the mounting surface. Think Jiffy Lube would have noticed it?

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Probably NOT!! :-@

Reply to