Transient high temperature

I finally put my 1986 carburated Toyota PU back together after replacing the timing chain guides, and, yes, I did spring for the steel-backed ones. I notice however that after the engine warms up that the needle on my temperature gauge creeps up almost to the upper indicator for the normal range (not into the red zone), but settles back to midrange after another 30-60 seconds of operation. I also seem to get perceptible hesitations of the engine, very brief, while driving, and I believe this is getting worse as the weeks go by. I'm not losing coolant. Timing not quite right? Vacuum leak? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Art

...just a guess - assuming you replaced the chain along with the guides, and the timing was set with the old, stretched chain, then I'd sure double-check the timing and then splurge for a new, oem thermostat while you're at it. I'm not a tech/mechanic.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos