transmission problem

1989 Toy 4x4

This during this cold Colorado winter, I first had problem shifting into 2nd gear. It would not go all the way into 2nd, I had to hold it in place while driving. After a week or two, 2nd gear seemed okay and 3rd gear became troublesome. Now, 3rd seems okay and the problem has moved to 4th gear and stayed. When driving in 4th, if I let off the accelerator, it falls out of

4th gear. I have to hold it in place very firmly.

I have about 214,000 miles on this truck. I've changed the transmission fluid on a regular basis and changed it again just a few weeks ago. The fluid appeared to look red and clean.

TIA AG2

Reply to
AG2

The cheap place to start is the plastic bushing at the bottom of the gearshift lever. They wear out and you have the problems you describe. Remove the shift lever, and you will probably find a ground up piece of plastic. They are cheap, so buy one and then take the shift lever out. Let us know if that is the fix.

Reply to
Jim in South Florida