Transmission code CLK and DLZ on an ABA engine.

I have a 1997 VW Jetta GLS 2.0 Auto. The transmission in the car when I bought it was a code DLZ but the body label and the warranty book label reads CLK. The transmission when I bought the car would not shift into overdrive. It acted like it went from 3rd then into neutral also it would jump between 1st and 2nd so I had the transmission replaced. Its not new but its from a car with half the mileage of mine. My car has 138,000 and the transmission has 53,000 on it. The transmission that was installed is a DLZ also. It shifts fine but sometimes it shifts into 2nd at high rpms and sometimes it doesnt. I am not having any problems other than this with the transmission but I am concerned that I may have problems later on or may have another failure. A new transmission is 2,300.00 from the dealer and the transmission I had installed was about 1,500.00 installed and no warranty. What are your opinions on this situation and what would you do. Loking for advice. Thanks!!

Reply to
97JettaGLS

JMO but VW automatics have never been very good. If you like the way the car drives and feels but are worried about the tranny? Sell it. Trade it in on a manual transmission and you will be much happier. Even if you don't know how to drive manual, it's easy to learn in a high school parking lot. I taught my GF in 2 hours when I bought her a manual car and she had to drive it home.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Thank you for your reply =) Why is the transmission code important? Isnt an automatic transmission an automatic transmsission? It fit in there is all I know about it and that it came from the same kind of car that was short lived due to an accident. I am still paying on the car and the car lot gave the transmission to me and paid for the install. But only after I discovered that there was codes that had to be matched. Would it help if I pulled the transmission computer from the wrecked donor car? I can drive a manual and if I save $800.00 I can buy a conversion kit transmission, axels, cables, shifter, shifter boot, and pedals for this car. I am assuming the transmission code doesnt matter on 5-speed but then I would wonder if the computer for the engine managment would have to know there is a 5 speed.. Why are the VW auto transmissions not good? I know they are considered maintenance free and sealed but I have owned an 85 cabriolet convertible with auto had

300,000 miles and never had a moments problem with it. I gave it away for 100.00 to a friend but she is still going strong with no rebuilds and engine doesnt smoke.
Reply to
97JettaGLS

The code tells you what's inside the tranny with respect to gear ratios, parts, and valve body. That said the value body must be matched with the TCM(tranny computer)!

Reply to
Woodchuck