Tundra powerpoint keepalive

Hi, does anyone know the mod to keep the cig-lighter//powerpoint alive after the ignition key is removed?

Trying to keep the cell phone charging in between stops,

Thnks in advance anyone.

Reply to
Bob H

You may want to consider running wires directly in from the battery.

You would get your "constant on" objective, plus you could use BIG wires if you wanted to run some high capacity inverter.

You would also benefit from bypassing the stock wires so if you run a high amount of current you will not have to worry about the stock circuitry.

Off the topic:

This brings back memories of when I was using Cheapo Auto amplifier products. I had terrible alternator whine in my speakers. I tried numerous inline power filters but nothing improved.

Finally someone told me about "ground loop".

I brought ground wires of the stereo and amplifiers together to a common ground wire. The ground wire was nice an big going directly to the negative battery.

This reduced noise better than any of the numerous filters I tried.

Reply to
kip

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking more along the line of doing something with the relay under the hood to keep the powerpoint alive. I don't want to touch anything without specific instructions.

Reply to
Bob H

You could do it that way. For that method you would need specific instructions. I don't know about the relay, It could provide an easier way of achieving your goal.

But If you were to disconnect the power feed to your Lighter sockets.

You also replace the feed with wires you brought in from the battery.

This Would be a complete stock system bypass.

Of course if you were to identify the relay, and the relay serves ONLY the power panel you want to modify. I just hope you don't Jump your relay to find you have left on other items in addition to your power panel.

Adding a wire from the battery to the appropriate lead will activate the relay "constantly".

Reply to
kip

For Tundra, jumpering the contacts on the relay works just fine. The cig lighter is still switched, but the two outlets remain active.

I need to find out how to do the same mod to an '03 4-Runner... the relay marked "ACC OUT" is not it... I can REMOVE the relay and all outlets still have power with the key on, and the relay does not appear to switch contact points when the key is turned on/off.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

You can use any one of many methods. Most of them involve the relay. You can remove the relay and install a jumper wire in place of the relay. You can pop open the relay (it's pretty easy) and solder the contacts together, or force them together with something between the activator arm of the relay and the upper contact. I used a small wire tie wrap to wrap around the activator arm and pull it down to the activated position. I put the relay back together and reinstalled it, and it has been working like a champ ever since. The best part is, it looks completely stock (the relay cover hides it). A jumper wire would look completely rigged!!

Reply to
Aaron Peterson

there is a detailed solution posted at

good site to keep bookmarked

good luck, and let me know how it turned out as my cell is sitting in the kitchen charging as I type this.

Reply to
Jarius1

Knew about the Tundra procedure... what about '03 4-Runner?

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer